• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Neck strain

SoonerJohn

I hurt something in my neck about 2 weeks ago.

The sore part is on the right side at about the first cervical bone. If I push in on the muscle there it hurts.

My neck had been tight for about two days before the pain appeared. I went to the chiropractor and was told I'd knocked some of the cervical bones out of alignment and they caused me to further strain the muscle.

The tightness is gone after my visit to the chiropractor (one week ago) but now i'm getting a sensation like a low level dull pain that starts at the tender spot and runs up to the top of my skull.

Is this just a nerve thing brought on by swelling during healing? I'll admit this started after I started going back to BJJ after a week off due to the injury.

Secondly, how long do strains take to heal and should I completely stop training or can I take it lightly?

P.S. My neck doesn't hurt if I move it up and down only when I turn my head to the left.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
I hurt something in my neck about 2 weeks ago.

The sore part is on the right side at about the first cervical bone. If I push in on the muscle there it hurts.

My neck had been tight for about two days before the pain appeared. I went to the chiropractor and was told I'd knocked some of the cervical bones out of alignment and they caused me to further strain the muscle.

Not to be cynical, but of course he did. If he tells you anything else, then he doesn't get to do his alignment and charge his fee.

The tightness is gone after my visit to the chiropractor (one week ago) but now i'm getting a sensation like a low level dull pain that starts at the tender spot and runs up to the top of my skull.

Is this just a nerve thing brought on by swelling during healing? I'll admit this started after I started going back to BJJ after a week off due to the injury.

Secondly, how long do strains take to heal and should I completely stop training or can I take it lightly?

P.S. My neck doesn't hurt if I move it up and down only when I turn my head to the left.

Any good massage might have taken away the pain. What it sounds like is that you have damaged either the trapezius muscle, or the sternocleidomastoid muscle. Both of these will produce pain and limited range of motion when rotating the head.

Strains can take anywhere from 2 days to 8 weeks to heal, depending on factors such as your own healing rate, treatment, and activity level. I would not do anything in your BJJ classes that puts strain on your neck in any way, and possibly take a couple weeks completely off from BJJ. If it continues to hurt for a prolonged period, then see a sports orthopod since you may have torn something loose as well.

Aodhan

There are some people who live in a dream world, and there are some who face reality; and then there are those who turn one into the other.

-Douglas Everett, American hockey player

If it's just a strain, it should've healed within a few days with rest and heat. Either it didn't get rested well enough or it's more serious than you're letting on. Any discoloration? How much swelling was there?

Your best bet at this point may be to see a good sports med physician (not a chiropractor) to let them have a look. A neck strain that hasn't healed in two weeks might be more serious than you think.

Respectfully,

Sohan

"If I cannot become one of extraordinary accomplishment, I will not walk the earth." Zen Master Nakahara Nantenbo

"A man who has attained mastery of an art reveals it in his every action." Samuarai maxim

"Knowing others is wisdom; knowing yourself is Enlightenment." Lao-Tzu

My opinion and suggestion exactly sohan. See a sports medicine doctor as soon as possible. If you do have your c-spine out of alignment, you could do permanent damage if you continue to put yourself in risk of injury while training. And with BJJ, you will.

A great martial artist is one who is humble and respectful of others.

• 2 weeks later...

Soonerjohn,

How's your neck healing up?

Respectfully,

Sohan

"If I cannot become one of extraordinary accomplishment, I will not walk the earth." Zen Master Nakahara Nantenbo

"A man who has attained mastery of an art reveals it in his every action." Samuarai maxim

Its finally doing better. I went to my doc and he confirmed it was a strain of the Sternocleidomastoid which is the muscle that attaches at the sternum and goes around to the ball just behind the ear.

Its still slightly sore if I pull on the muscle to stretch it, but the constant pain is gone. The constant pain lasted almost exactly 4 weeks and then just stopped suddenly and became on and off pain for the last week and today hasn't hurt at all unless I do the pulling of the muscle which the doc reccomended to keep it stretched out slightly.

Thanks for all the advice.

Glad to hear! Hope it continues to progress.

Respectfully,

Sohan

confirmed it was a strain of the Sternocleidomastoid which is the muscle that attaches at the sternum and goes around to the ball just behind the ear.

Thank you, thank you

No applause or tips are necessary. :D

Seriously, glad to hear it wasn't something more serious. Take it slow and don't overstress it, last thing you want is to reinjure it.

Aodhan

There are some people who live in a dream world, and there are some who face reality; and then there are those who turn one into the other.

confirmed it was a strain of the Sternocleidomastoid which is the muscle that attaches at the sternum and goes around to the ball just behind the ear.

Thank you, thank you

Aodhan

Well, you did have a 50-50 shot. :)

Respectfully,

Sohan

Thank you, thank you

Aodhan

Well, you did have a 50-50 shot. :)

Respectfully,

Sohan

No, there are more muscles than those two. My main objection was what the chiropractor told him. If you knock cervical bones "out of alignment", you're going to have a lot more symptoms than a sore spot at the base of your skull. (Especially if it's the atlas, or first cervical bone as he described it).

Aodhan (But yes, it was close to a 50/50 shot. Sshhh. Don't tap on the glass)