• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Sparring Situation: What would you do?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
You should never really rush people if their so much better than you, better yet move to the side and enter then move back, the sooner you can understand to not fight linear, the better.

fighting linear is fine, if you are comfortable doing it and know how to do it. thai boxers are very linear.

That said, you know he likes to front kick. When the kick comes, try one of two things:

1. slide backward slightly, getting you out of range of the kick, then immediately returning a kick of your own.

2. parry the kick, but redirect it down toward the ground, forcing him to put weight on it. Nail him in that leg once it touches the ground.

It is hard to throw side and front kicks consistently without having them grabbed. That's why you don't see them in MMA very often.

If trained properly, this shouldn't even be a problem. Getting your leg grabbed means you didn't properly execute your kick. Guess what thats means...train harder or train more.

The reason why you dont see these kicks often in MMA is because of he way they train, I'm not saying its wrong. But the way they kick gets power in, but it also leaves alot of room for getting their leg grabbed.

You make it sound like throwing a powerful kick is a bad thing. If I can't throw it full blast, why would I use the kick at all?

Well for your last statement, theres many answers to that. I'm sure you can think of a couple right now.

I guess my wording wasn't done well. I'm just saying that often because some average MMA fighters only focus on power, things can get sloppy, and they forget the text book technique which brought them the power in the first place.

I never meant to say that powerful kicks are bad, thats absurd...I just mean, alot of time people think power is the end all of fighting, this often leads to leaving their leg open to counters.

Hope this helps my statement.

Edited by Menjo

"Time is what we want most, but what we use worst"

William Penn

I guess for feints or something, but a feint only works if the opponent fears the actual technique.

?

No. Thats like saying jabs only work if someone reacts to them.... :-?

Theres no argument here, I'd have to explain entire systems of fighting to be able to get a clear point across on this subject.

William Penn

If trained properly, this shouldn't even be a problem. Getting your leg grabbed means you didn't properly execute your kick. Guess what thats means...train harder or train more.

from our point of view, that is incorrect. you are talking about two different styles and two different types of power - whip vs baseball bat.

the whipping kick snaps. it's less powerful, but has sting to it. it's speed makes it hard to catch. Consequently, don't try to catch it - just cut kick the bejesus outta them when they roundhouse. catch or parry the front kick.

the baseball bat crushes and drills. it goes through it's target, which makes it easier to catch, but a lot more punishing when it lands.

you use a whip; we use a baseball bat. neither is incorrect.

The reason why you dont see these kicks often in MMA is because of he way they train, I'm not saying its wrong. But the way they kick gets power in, but it also leaves alot of room for getting their leg grabbed.

as stated above, they kick the way they are supposed to. they would rather crush than sting - crushing stands a better chance of ending the fight sooner.

I guess for feints or something, but a feint only works if the opponent fears the actual technique.

?

No. Thats like saying jabs only work if someone reacts to them.... :-?

Theres no argument here, I'd have to explain entire systems of fighting to be able to get a clear point across on this subject.

UseofForce is right. a feint will only work if you fall for it. If I feint a jab, but I do it half heartedly, you know it's a feint - you won't react. In order for the feint to work, you must believe the technique is coming. that is the fear he's talking about. your reaction to what you perceive to be my action.

I'm not sure what you were getting at with your jab analogy. now, if you said feints only work if someone reacts to them...

as stated above, they kick the way they are supposed to. they would rather crush than sting - crushing stands a better chance of ending the fight sooner.

Thats not what I'm saying entirly. You can still follow what I had said and still use crushing power, Like I had said before...Theres no point of getting into and explaining entire systems of fighting(I wouldn't be able to either).

I use speed to get to the target, crushing power to drive through, and speed to get out again before the opponent knows what happened to them. Or if I want to get to a target, I may use my type of training to get into the target zone and follow through with more technques that are more crushing.So basicly, right now my general fighting habits are simply relying on speed to get there, then crushing power to end it. I belive in a combination of "whip" and "baseball bat".

UseofForce is right. a feint will only work if you fall for it. If I feint a jab, but I do it half heartedly, you know it's a feint - you won't react. In order for the feint to work, you must believe the technique is coming. that is the fear he's talking about. your reaction to what you perceive to be my action.

My point was that kicks which are more speed reliant kicks, have many purposes other than just feinting. Speed could be used to disarm an assailant with a knife...So could power, but speed would be more likely to catch the opponent off-guard.

William Penn

• 1 month later...

Thats not what I'm saying entirly. You can still follow what I had said and still use crushing power, Like I had said before...Theres no point of getting into and explaining entire systems of fighting(I wouldn't be able to either).

I use speed to get to the target, crushing power to drive through, and speed to get out again before the opponent knows what happened to them. Or if I want to get to a target, I may use my type of training to get into the target zone and follow through with more technques that are more crushing.So basicly, right now my general fighting habits are simply relying on speed to get there, then crushing power to end it. I belive in a combination of "whip" and "baseball bat".

My point was that kicks which are more speed reliant kicks, have many purposes other than just feinting. Speed could be used to disarm an assailant with a knife...So could power, but speed would be more likely to catch the opponent off-guard.

Power = mass X velocity squared.

Power = speed + technique.

These are the 2 equations that I know of for generating power output. I really don't think the baseball bat or the whip have much to do with it. Baseball bat or whip have to do with the amount of follow through, not how much power is generated.