• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Sparring Situation: What would you do?

Ok say your in this situation (while sparring):

Youring sparring someone who is very good at punching and kicking, but is really good at kicking. Say your get into just about outside kicking range and you rush him and he side kicks or front kicks directly into your stomach. (Kind of like bruce lee in enter the dragon where the guy rushs him and he just kicks him outright) When this happened to me, it was karate point sparring, i was sparring a brown belt (when i was yellow) and he knocked the wind out of me. :cry: Now what would you do (or what does your style teach you to do) or what would have you done differently?

I find it a very annoying move. :kaioken:

Thanks for your replys.

My style was made by Chuck Norris, it's called:

Chuck-will-make-you-cluck-do

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

You should never really rush people if their so much better than you, better yet move to the side and enter then move back, the sooner you can understand to not fight linear, the better.

-hi

--hello, who are you?

-nobody

Ask this question in the strategy section and you may get a better response.

Work on stepping to the outside of his front kick, or try to smother and redirect his roundhouse. Rushing headlong at someone well-trained in MA is suicide.

Respectfully,

Sohan

"If I cannot become one of extraordinary accomplishment, I will not walk the earth." Zen Master Nakahara Nantenbo

"A man who has attained mastery of an art reveals it in his every action." Samuarai maxim

"Knowing others is wisdom; knowing yourself is Enlightenment." Lao-Tzu

If you know he likes that kick, you should try to bait him into throwing it. Act like you are going to charge him, or whatever it is you do that draws the kick, and then when he throws it, you will be ready. You can then block it away, side step, or set up some counter.

I would think that a brown belt would be able to do almost anything he or she wanted to a yellow belt. It's total experience, versus jsut moves.

If you think only of hitting, springing, striking or touching the enemy, you will not be able actually to cut him. You must thoroughly research this. - Musashi

If he's better at one thing, do the opposite. Don't get into a kicking fight with someone who really knows how to kick, don't grapple with a grappler, fight in the way that they are weakest. If his kick isn't fast enough, come in at a diagonal, catch the kicking leg and sweep the other leg. Remember though, you're a yellow belt, he's a brown belt, you're not expected to be able to work him all that much. Keep working on blocks, sidesteps and redirections. You'll get there.

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Depends what rules you have when you spar. In my class, I'd grab the leg and take my opponent down, then work from there.

It is hard to throw side and front kicks consistently without having them grabbed. That's why you don't see them in MMA very often.

If it works, use it!

If not, throw it out!

It is hard to throw side and front kicks consistently without having them grabbed. That's why you don't see them in MMA very often.

If trained properly, this shouldn't even be a problem. Getting your leg grabbed means you didn't properly execute your kick. Guess what thats means...train harder or train more.

The reason why you dont see these kicks often in MMA is because of he way they train, I'm not saying its wrong. But the way they kick gets power in, but it also leaves alot of room for getting their leg grabbed.

"Time is what we want most, but what we use worst"

William Penn

If trained properly, this shouldn't even be a problem. Getting your leg grabbed means you didn't properly execute your kick. Guess what thats means...train harder or train more.

The reason why you dont see these kicks often in MMA is because of he way they train, I'm not saying its wrong. But the way they kick gets power in, but it also leaves alot of room for getting their leg grabbed.

You make it sound like throwing a powerful kick is a bad thing. If I can't throw it full blast, why would I use the kick at all?

If it works, use it!

If not, throw it out!