• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

not flexible...

Nick_sam

i'm not particularly un-flexible. there are just a few things i cannot do which are a hinderance. the first is i cannot sit cross legged properly. my legs just dont want to go down and rest on eachother, the knees stay raised a few inches up in the air.

the other is also a sittling problem. if i sit on the floor with my legs outstretched infront of me i find it difficult to sit up straight without wanting to lean back or getting tired.

is there anything i can do to remedy these problems?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
i'm not particularly un-flexible. there are just a few things i cannot do which are a hinderance. the first is i cannot sit cross legged properly. my legs just dont want to go down and rest on eachother, the knees stay raised a few inches up in the air.

the other is also a sittling problem. if i sit on the floor with my legs outstretched infront of me i find it difficult to sit up straight without wanting to lean back or getting tired.

is there anything i can do to remedy these problems?

Basically just stretch every day. Yoga might help, but if you are inflexible to start with, you may find most of the movements difficult to do properly.

Basically, either through lack of range of motion in your daily activities or injuries, your muscles have shortened up. You need to gradually work greater and greater range of motion, and add stretching to your daily routine (15-20 minutes worth). This will eventually loosen up your muscles, and then you can start doing advanced flexibility drills and exercises.

Aodhan

There are some people who live in a dream world, and there are some who face reality; and then there are those who turn one into the other.

-Douglas Everett, American hockey player

A great thing to do is stretch while you watch tv.

A Couple stretches you can do:

The butterfly your legs look like this <> put your heels together, grab your ankles and push your knees down with your elbows. Then let up, bounce them (hence the butterfly name) and do it again.

Another one, stand up and touch the floor (or get as close as you can without bending your knees or causing your muscles to tighten) stand up shake your legs out and do it again.

Also, the hurtlers stretch, put one leg behind you (or in front depending on what's most comfortable) then put one leg straight out. Try to touch your head to your knee while stretching to grab your toes with your hands... again only do this as far as you can.. once your muscles start to tighten stop...

Hope that helps. :)

~BBB

Training 14 years

Kalkinodo Blackbelt

Try PNF stretching. Do a static stretch to your end range of movement; then contract the muscle being stretched for six seconds and relax in position. Try to stretch a bit further, and then repeat. Do this 3-4 times per stretch for 1-2 minutes total.

I get great results with this technique.

Respectfully,

Sohan

"If I cannot become one of extraordinary accomplishment, I will not walk the earth." Zen Master Nakahara Nantenbo

"A man who has attained mastery of an art reveals it in his every action." Samuarai maxim

"Knowing others is wisdom; knowing yourself is Enlightenment." Lao-Tzu