Nick_sam

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From what i know about the differences between Shotokan and Goju Ryu are the following things:

1. In Shotokan, it is more competition based, unlike Goju.

2. Shotokan includes alot more of a reaching stance, example, when in the stance zankutsu dachi, it is extended more than Goju. Which leads to my next point;

I certainly don't agree with number one, where I train we are not at all a competition based style. number two is correct kinda but it's not reaching that we do, we have longer stances for kihon (basics) becuase we believe if you can do a kick, punch, etc from that positoin it will be even easier to do in a more natural stance. Our stances like all styles in karate I think also train the hips and get proper conection.

Very good post .shotokan basics prepares and developes the body very well .A good shotokan club has a well balanced training rota ,catering for basics ,kata ,self defence and competition style kumite .

never give up !

From what i know about the differences between Shotokan and Goju Ryu are the following things:

1. In Shotokan, it is more competition based, unlike Goju.

2. Shotokan includes alot more of a reaching stance, example, when in the stance zankutsu dachi, it is extended more than Goju. Which leads to my next point;

I certainly don't agree with number one, where I train we are not at all a competition based style. number two is correct kinda but it's not reaching that we do, we have longer stances for kihon (basics) becuase we believe if you can do a kick, punch, etc from that positoin it will be even easier to do in a more natural stance. Our stances like all styles in karate I think also train the hips and get proper conection.

Very good post .shotokan basics prepares and developes the body very well .A good shotokan club has a well balanced training rota ,catering for basics ,kata ,self defence and competition style kumite .

Thanks, I completely agree, I love being agreed with it makes me feel less incompetant.

everyone has fear, but it is when we let it overcome us that we lose

soft, hard, slow, fast components of kata

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting a post about Goju and without having a Goju stylist respond. The most basic differences is that where Shotokan is a very linear sytle, Goju-ryu tends to be very circular. Shotokan emphisizes deep stances where Goju prefers solid stances, one of the lowest stances used in Goju-ryu is neko-ashi-dachi. And true that Goju is not geared towards competition, it is a close-in style that blends itself well with grappling arts.

Malanovaus

Okinawan Goju-Ryu

Karate ni sente nashi

The answers are on the floor

I am currently a brown belt in shotokan, i have been doing it for years and i love it. Our club is not competition based, although our sensei wouldn't object if we choose to enter a competition. I did try Shukokai which is totally different. I have no experience in any other styles.

Walk away and your always a winner. https://www.shikata-shotokan.co.uk

Interesting a post about Goju and without having a Goju stylist respond. The most basic differences is that where Shotokan is a very linear sytle, Goju-ryu tends to be very circular. Shotokan emphisizes deep stances where Goju prefers solid stances, one of the lowest stances used in Goju-ryu is neko-ashi-dachi. And true that Goju is not geared towards competition, it is a close-in style that blends itself well with grappling arts.

1-what exactly you mean by "Shotokan is a very linear style.....Goju ryu very circular"

2-what's a difference between deep stances and solid stances?

Goju ryu also emphasis a bit on Breating. And on enduring blows.

Where on competition you dodge weave and parry, in the more tradition Goju sparing you recive/endure the blow or Parry/Block.

Like steping into a incoming punch, and contracting and makings special breathing to endure it. Something i fail misserably :bawling: . But then again this is High level stuff brown belt +.

There are also lots of locks and throws. Not so mutch as in Aikido flow throws, but more like power throws/grabs. Some say Aikido took some thecknicks from GoJu.

I always saw GoJu as a style designed to bulky people or with avobe average body structure. Liek the people who tend to practice Judo. But i never seen Shotokan training in action.

Also there is lot of close quarters fighting, with sweaping, grab/traping of menber and lifting to drop on ground and lock arms or knee drop/force on neck.

SO main thing is Goju is Close quarter, breating/body condicioning for takign blows.

Other than that, you can get in most stuff from other styles, as at a certain level you start to find out what works and what does not works for you.

For example there are certain thecknick that i hardly can make work even in aranged practice, but other that fly like eagles even in Randory/combat even when my mates cannot make them work.

Fighting is more a person thing and less of a style thing than people imagine.

Goju ryu also emphasis a bit on Breating.

Well...I dont know an art that doesnt focus on breathing. Shotokan has alot of breathing to it, but breathing in Shotokan naturally comes with proper technique. If I do proper technique, breathing naturaly follows, this is with any other art.

"Time is what we want most, but what we use worst"

William Penn

Actually Menjo, it's the other way around... Proper technique naturally comes with proper Breathing.

- Killer -

LOl....right. :dodgy: I see it as with proper posture and follow through you get the air pulled out of you, for me anyway.

"Time is what we want most, but what we use worst"

William Penn