• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Injuries from Stretching - what to avoid?

Jack

To perform upright barbell lifts correctly and safely: grab a barbell shoulder width apart or just outside of it. Just pull the barbell up to eye-height always keeping your elbows higher than your hands. The movement should be an arc in the sense that you start with the barbell against your body but move it away from it as you go up so that you have a few inches leeway between your eyes and the barbell when you get to that point. If you move your grip in you will isolate the outer traps and if you move your grip out you'll hit more of the delts and inner traps.

People tend to do this incorrectly and injuring their rotator cuffs ... if you feel pain or discomfort STOP. Also rotating shrugs with dumbells can result in rotator cuff injury also.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

So KickChick, would the emphasis on performing the upright barbell row correctly be to keep the elbows above the hands? I can see why some might not do that correctly.

Jack

Currently 'off' from formal MA training

KarateForums.com

• 2 years later...

When ever i do streches i find the next day all those muscles are tighter. Does this mean im not doing my streches correctly?

I have read the posts and from now on i will do streches on the floor and i wont bounce i used to bounce alot but thanks for the warning.