• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Injuries from Stretching - what to avoid?

Jack

I'd like to start off saying this isn't yet another post asking how to stretch. :smile:

I was just wondering if anybody knows of any harmful mistakes that people might do while stretching that could cause overstretching, stretched ligaments, or anything which is harmful or inpairing. If so, I think it would be beneficial to everybody to post these things here, so people can see if they are doing harm to themselves.

I have a knack for constantly stretching ligaments and causing myself more harm than good when I stretch, but I can't nail anything specific down. So if you would all like to add anything, post it below!

Jack

Currently 'off' from formal MA training

KarateForums.com

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

erm i'll have a go...

Always keep your feet parrallel avoid torsion of you knees. ie don't go from front to back splits into side split and vise-versa while you muscles are under tension!

I'd recommend sitting on the floor when stretching rather then standing. although you don't have your body weight assisting your stretch it takes a lot of the pressure off you knees as they are supported against the floor.

Keep you back straight!! ie chin to toes rather then forehead to your knee.

I'd also avoid assymetric and dynamic stretches. Tho they are sold as a get flexible quick method, the price is increased pressure on your joints.

Oh and really don't mix jogging with a stretching routine. I think this is the worst thing i ever did to my knees running. Try skipping as an alternative as the shorter range of motion with bend leg tightens/supports the knee.

Just what works for me. I've got hyper laxity syndrom so i notice the more dangerous stretches which put stress on my ligaments coz they hurt...

Bretty

[ This Message was edited by: Bretty101 on 2002-04-16 18:00 ]

Hmm,

I've been doing dynamic strethching as a warm up before my jog, then going for my jog.

Haven't had any problems so far, instead, my calf muscles haven't cramped up like they were before

It takes sacrifice to be the best.

There are always two choices, two paths to take. One is easy. And its only reward is that it's easy.

Dont feel bad Jack, I had the same problem. I guess it was mainly that I did not warm up enough before stretching and then I would over-stretch and pull somthing. I just bought this book a few weeks ago and it really has helped. Its called Stretching by Bob Anderson. Its written where even I can understand it and it has diagrams to show the proper stretching. :up: :up: :up:

(And its under 20 bucks!!!)

Pain is only temporary, the memory of that pain lasts a lifetime.

Scientifically speaking:

It's best to not stretch from cold, but after some aerobic warm-up. In fact, to really stretch the muscle the best time to really focus on stretching is after the workout, when your muscles are really warmed. For martial arts, warm up with some jogging in place, running, even jumping jacks, etc. before stretching to 'wake' the muscle up before stretching and then do your cool down stretches 10+min. or longer, but not too long. Each stretch should be held for at least 30sec.

When stretching one of the worst things you could do would be to 'bounce' your stretch. This can cause trauma to the ligament/muscle and hinder your stretching progress. Ie you stretch really good one day, but the next feel even tighter.

Heat can help do wonders for warming the muscle.

"I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.

Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world." Einstein

Bravo Martial_Artist! :handclap from Kickchick: :nod:

Here are some dangerous stretches and exercises to also avoid!

1. Behind the head military barbell press. Pressing up while in extreme rotation is the shoulder rotator cuff 's worst nightmare. Pressing with the bar in front of the face is OK.

2. Barbell upright rows. Pulling the bar to your chin is more rotator cuff abuse.

3. Good mornings. Should be called "good riddance" to healthy lower back muscles. The move is with a barbell on your shoulders and straight legs, you bow and come up. Don't do it this way!!!

4. Fast, straight- legged sit-ups. This is an antiquated exercise using hip flexors more than abs, momentum more than muscle and can hurt the lower back. Slow, controlled roll-ups (done the Pilates way) can strengthen abs and back.

5. Fast crunches. Once considered the only alternative to sit-ups, crunches are safe when slow. Fast crunches, involve more head pulling than ab strengthening and don't address lower belly muscles at all.

6. Yoga plow. Lying on your back with knees next to ears compresses your neck. (For a safer variation, keep legs in the air and rest your lower back in your hands to take weight off your neck.)

7. The hurdler's stretch. Sitting or lying down with one or both feet pulled to the outside of your hip is bad news for your knees. For a safe quad and hip flexor stretch, lie on one side, grab the "top" foot and pull it behind your back.

8. Straight-legged toe touches. Often used in yoga, hanging forward (with a rounded spine and arms dangling) puts too much weight on delicate vertebrae. Bouncing makes it worse. Support your spine by holding onto legs or a chair. Bend knees before straightening legs (and never lock knees).

9. Dropping or rolling your head back. Like the plow, this compresses your neck. If you have to drop your head back, don't go back all the way.

10. Deep knee bends. I hope no one does these anymore. Quickly dropping down, with knees exceeding a 90-degree angle, abuses the knee joint. Do your squats and leg presses slowly and make sure knees never venture out beyond toes.

Remember: everyone achieves different results because after all everyone's physique is unique! All stretching whether it be dynamic, static, isometric etc etc.... should be done AFTER a good warm up as Martial_Artist suggested. If you attempt to stretch out before an appropriate warm up, you are very likely to pull or tear something. Once you do warm-up however, keep in mind that the preliminary stretching is for injury prevention ONLY.

Jack (and everyone else too!) ... make sure to always take the proper steps to avoid injury and achieve the greatest benefits from your training. Think about the actions you'll be doing. What muscles will you be using? Take the first 10% of your workout time and dedicate it to aerobically preparing the muscles you are going to use, followed by several minutes of stretching. Continue your training within your comfortable range of motion, slow down gradually, and conclude with more stretching. This is the time when you will want to push yourself a bit further in order to gain flexibility. Remember that progression takes time. By taking these easy steps, you will stay on the track of improvement and off the path of recovery. :up:

Thanks KickChick :wave:

It really surprising how much misinformation is floating around out there. This is such a good place to ask questions. Like JACK good idea to come on and ask. Especially if your teachers are misinformed or outdated.

Thank you very much everybody. :smile:

By the way, on the word of Upright Barbell Rows - I was making myself some decent muscle gains with this exercise and I havn't noticed any trouble. Nevertheless, would you think it wise to consider replacing this with a One-Armed Dumbell Row (The bent over one)?

Jack

Currently 'off' from formal MA training

KarateForums.com

On rotator cuffs BTW, there is an exercise to strengthen them, I don't know the name I will try and explain it.

Your elbow is tucked into your side and your forearm at 90degrees perpendicular thereto. With your arm in front rotate it to the side, again only about 90degrees laterally and then back to front. Do this with a small weight. Don't lock your knees, ie stand bent a little, don't force your back to do anything(except maintain proper posture), try to use the rotator cuff muscle for the movement.

Anything more on this? Maybe KickChick can offer some more. She seems to have more in depth knowledge on the subject.