• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Creatine

UseoForce

A search of fda.gov only returned a creatine testing system, so I'm guessing that no governmental research has been done on it.

Universities (and their institutions) are good sources of info, and this is pretty representative of what I've found as a summary and you may want to look

http://www.berkeleywellness.com/html/ds/dsCreatine.php

Here is the only study that I could actually find on PubMed reguarding Creatine/muscle stuff

http://jp.physoc.org/cgi/rapidpdf/jphysiol.2006.107359v1

but it just really says that there was an increase in satellite cells, which are a couple of steps before muscle.

Here is an interesting article hmmm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/3145223.stm

This is large and detailed, but keep in mind that it is user-submitted, and user-edited, so you never know...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creatine

In conclusion:

It really looks to me that if you make enough of your own creatine, this isn't really going to help you out. If you damage muscle or work out satelite cells are recruited to make muscle, and it helps make more satelite cells, but people have a tendancey to send off to waste most of what isn't necissary. What if your body sends off too much? Usually, when there is a disruption (and in a healthy person), chemo-equilibrium is mantained in a wave pattern, starting off with a big wave in one direction (too much creatine, here), then a smaller wave down as the body detects how very much you have and stops producing it on its own, then a smaller wave up when the body notices how little, etc. So I don't know how this would work on a very long term scale (like years)

Plus, very short term, it only makes you gain water weight. Also, it definately doesnt help (and might even hurt) strength in an aerobic condition.

Anyway, I'm not convinced that it's worth the money and risk (that you may have some unknown to you kidney or liver disease and that this will harm you), but mostly it just costing people money smile.gif

You suck-train harder.......................Don't block with your face

A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.

-Lao Tzu

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It really looks to me that if you make enough of your own creatine, this isn't really going to help you out.

Most likely, you don't. That's why you use it supplementally. Same thing with protein, vitamins, etc. they supplement what you are already deficient in.

If you damage muscle or work out satelite cells are recruited to make muscle, and it helps make more satelite cells, but people have a tendancey to send off to waste most of what isn't necissary. What if your body sends off too much? Usually, when there is a disruption (and in a healthy person), chemo-equilibrium is mantained in a wave pattern, starting off with a big wave in one direction (too much creatine, here), then a smaller wave down as the body detects how very much you have and stops producing it on its own, then a smaller wave up when the body notices how little, etc. So I don't know how this would work on a very long term scale (like years)

as I said above, the body excretes excess creatine. This shouldn't be an issue.

Plus, very short term, it only makes you gain water weight. Also, it definately doesnt help (and might even hurt) strength in an aerobic condition.

the average non bodybuilding male doesn't care about cater weight. the muscle density gained and strength increases - that is what they care about. That and the energy production and lessened lactic acid buildup. As for aerobic conditioning, I never noticed a difference when I was using it. It's a well known myth that bigger = slower. you have to be HUGE for that to happen. If he's that big, he doesn't need creatine - he needs jenny craig.

I have used creatine for nearly ten years and have experienced great results with it both in MA and weight training. The only issues I have had involve some degree of excess muscle cramping when dehydrated, though I ran the Boston marathon in 2004 when it was 80 degrees and wasn't any worse than usual. I just ensure that I keep my fluid intake at a proper level.

I would estimate I have experienced a 5-10% increase in anaerobic power as a result of creatine supplementation. A recent checkup showed my kidneys and liver quite healthy.

Respectfully,

Sohan

"If I cannot become one of extraordinary accomplishment, I will not walk the earth." Zen Master Nakahara Nantenbo

"A man who has attained mastery of an art reveals it in his every action." Samuarai maxim

"Knowing others is wisdom; knowing yourself is Enlightenment." Lao-Tzu

I have used cratine as well, and I just make sure to cycle on and off it again. ussually about 6-8 weeks on and then the same period off. I found I made great gains in strength during the "on" period that would remain as I cycled off. The loss of size on the off period did'nt really bother me.

And Mc Guire used roids....there is no friggan way he got that big using legal supplements. :o Yeah.....Bonds too.....

• 1 month later...

the average non bodybuilding male doesn't care about cater weight. the muscle density gained and strength increases - that is what they care about. That and the energy production and lessened lactic acid buildup. As for aerobic conditioning, I never noticed a difference when I was using it. It's a well known myth that bigger = slower. you have to be HUGE for that to happen. If he's that big, he doesn't need creatine - he needs jenny craig.

Additional muscle strength from creatine usage will not hurt aerobic conditioning, and weight training as bodybuilders perform it (not like powerlifters) may provide slight improvements in aerobic capacity. However, by making a muscle larger in size the mitochondria in muscle cells that serve a major role in aerobic energy production have to service more muscle mass, diluting their effectiveness.

Another problem concerns aerobic performance, such as running or cycling, where bodyweight is an issue. Added mass without a greater proportional increase in aerobic capacity will lead to diminished performance. It's a simple matter of physics, really. If your cardiovascular system is tuned to carry a 150 lb body a certain distance in a certain time, and you add 10 lbs without increasing cardiovascular capacity, you go slower. This is why you don't see many marathoners or Tour de France winners that look like Arnold Schwarzenegger. Short distances can accomodate larger frames, but there is a limit.

With respect,

Sohan

"If I cannot become one of extraordinary accomplishment, I will not walk the earth." Zen Master Nakahara Nantenbo

"A man who has attained mastery of an art reveals it in his every action." Samuarai maxim

ive heard its known to cause kidney and liver problems

If not used correctly, yes. ANYthing can cause problems in excess. If you take it according to recommended dosages, and stay well hydrated, there shouldn't be any problem with it whatsoever.

Most of the sensational cases (Mike Matarazzo being one, although that wasn't strictly due to creatine) came about because of severe extremes. In Matarazzo's case, he became so dehydrated from competition prep that he went into body cramps and fibrillation. At the time it was partially attributed to creatine, although the extent of the "blame" was never deteremined.

ANYTHING in excess can cause problems. Even water.

Aodhan

There are some people who live in a dream world, and there are some who face reality; and then there are those who turn one into the other.

-Douglas Everett, American hockey player

ive heard its known to cause kidney and liver problems

If not used correctly, yes. ANYthing can cause problems in excess. If you take it according to recommended dosages, and stay well hydrated, there shouldn't be any problem with it whatsoever.

Most of the sensational cases (Mike Matarazzo being one, although that wasn't strictly due to creatine) came about because of severe extremes. In Matarazzo's case, he became so dehydrated from competition prep that he went into body cramps and fibrillation. At the time it was partially attributed to creatine, although the extent of the "blame" was never deteremined.

ANYTHING in excess can cause problems. Even water.

Aodhan

Interesting you bring up Matarazzo.

I was in one, that is ONE bodybuilding contest in my life. I have never felt WORSE than I did for that meet. The manipulation of my body's fluid levels made me feel horrible, much worse than I ever did making weight in boxing or for a weightlifting competition. I was cramping so bad backstage I thought I wouldn't make it out. And I wasn't the only one, there were others with their struggles. This was a DRUG-TESTED contest, before creatine was even available. I can't imagine what today's mega-steroid-fed-horse-hormone-taking bodybuilders put their bodies through---I just had a buddy die a few weeks ago who was a top BB in Georgia at age 40---had a heart attack, but with about 3% bodyfat and a body to die for. It's a terrible, warped sport that BB has morphed into today.

As far as creatine goes, it's fine IMO for moderate use, but be careful--- if you tend to frequently become dehydrated or are prone to muscle cramps, this isn't the supplement for you.

With respect,

Sohan

i personally do not use creatine. creatine is pretty much a supplement that does nothing in my opinion. once you take creatine, i think it fills you muscles with water and some proteins build back the muscle fiber, but i dont think it will help as much. protein drinks are okay, but to much excess ingridients that will do nothing for your body. im thinking it would be better to stick to normal foods for your protein source

believe you can do anything and you are limitless