UseoForce

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Depends on the person. In competition, aside from the possibility that it potentially give one an unfair advantage there are health related risks associate with the stuff. I say no but then a lot has changed in MA since my day. It may "work" to accomplish the intended goal but at what price? At what level of honor? Honor, sometimes I wonder if there is still such a thing. Just my thoughts...since you asked. :-?

"Don't tell me the sky's the limit because I have seen footprints on the moon!" -- Paul Brandt

honor? I wouldn't think using a nutritional supplement would bring in lack of honor. something illegal like roids - sure, as they are expressly illegal. looking at it from your perspective, use of protein shakes, energy drinks, any supplement at all would bring someone's honor into question...

As for side effects, studies have shown that creatine doesn't have any serious side effects. it's been known to cause gas and bloating, and even that is from overuse. Allegations of creatine causing cancer have been disproven.

Forgive me. I suppose that my response should have been - Is it legal? I am not sure if MA has a drug restriction policy. If not or if the stuff is legal then my opinion does not matter.

My understanding if Creatine is that the body processes it into steriod type stuff. It is my understanding that McQuire used it to bulk up. Bodies don't get like that with protein shakes, energy drinks, etc. so the stuff is not like a protein drink...much more effective for what it is intended. Just my humble opinion -- since the body processess the stuff in to a steriod type thing it's pretty much the same thing in the end. My opinion is that Sammy Sosa and Mark McQuire...or Bonds for that matter do not hold the home run record. Roger Maris still does.

Everyone is more than welcomed to do and take whatever they wish. I do not compete and when I do I do not need to win. I am not sure what competitiors are using to increase everthing that they need to increase whatever ti is that they need to increase. I think that it is wrong. You may not. If not, so long as it is not illegal go for it and the best of luck to you.

"Don't tell me the sky's the limit because I have seen footprints on the moon!" -- Paul Brandt

Forgive me. I suppose that my response should have been - Is it legal? I am not sure if MA has a drug restriction policy. If not or if the stuff is legal then my opinion does not matter.

My understanding if Creatine is that the body processes it into steriod type stuff. It is my understanding that McQuire used it to bulk up. Bodies don't get like that with protein shakes, energy drinks, etc. so the stuff is not like a protein drink...much more effective for what it is intended. Just my humble opinion -- since the body processess the stuff in to a steriod type thing it's pretty much the same thing in the end. My opinion is that Sammy Sosa and Mark McQuire...or Bonds for that matter do not hold the home run record. Roger Maris still does.

Everyone is more than welcomed to do and take whatever they wish. I do not compete and when I do I do not need to win. I am not sure what competitiors are using to increase everthing that they need to increase whatever ti is that they need to increase. I think that it is wrong. You may not. If not, so long as it is not illegal go for it and the best of luck to you.

creatine is legal - it's also something that is already produced by the body. creatine really does nothing more than allow the muscles to take in more water, resulting in fuller muscles - increased mass. it also reduces the buildup of lactic acid after a hard workout, as it makes you less dependent on glycolysis.

What you are talking about is androstendione, not creatine.

Androstenedione was used by the German Olympic athletes. It is a pill that goes to the liver and the liver will convert it the testosterone for strength and energy. Creatine is not as strong as Androstenedione but still is considered a performance enhancement drug. Creatine stores protein and water in the muscle and lets the user workout longer. These performance enhancement drugs work like steroids. They have been dubbed by many as “over the counter roids.” Like the illegal form of steroids, you are supposed to take the enhancement drug when working out. McGuire is credited with using both.

That said, you are free to do what you want. Either way, I wish you the best of luck and health.

Androstenedione was used by the German Olympic athletes. It is a pill that goes to the liver and the liver will convert it the testosterone for strength and energy. Creatine is not as strong as Androstenedione but still is considered a performance enhancement drug. Creatine stores protein and water in the muscle and lets the user workout longer. These performance enhancement drugs work like steroids. They have been dubbed by many as “over the counter roids.” Like the illegal form of steroids, you are supposed to take the enhancement drug when working out. McGuire is credited with using both.

That said, you are free to do what you want. Either way, I wish you the best of luck and health.

Actually, creatine is classified as a food product, not a drug, and is allowable by all national committees, including the International Olympic committee. If you do a search, I believe I posted an article on creatine a while back.

Aodhan

There are some people who live in a dream world, and there are some who face reality; and then there are those who turn one into the other.

-Douglas Everett, American hockey player

A couple of things.

McGuire, et. al. used androstenodione, which does get processed into a steroidal substance, and at the time they used it, it was quasi-legal.

Creatine is a food product, and is legal under every governing body for sport. It basically enables the muscles to work longer before exhaustion, because it provides a ready source of phosphate to "recharge" ATP in the muscle.

It's not going to affect a forms competition in any way, nor (in general) a weapons competition. You might get some minimal effect from it in a sparring competition, since it is basically interval type work, but it's not going to make you faster or stronger the way a steroid will.

Where you will really notice the difference is in class, it will enable you to work harder for longer, which will in turn improve (theoretically) your performance when outside of class.

UseofForce resurrected my creatine thread, if you have any questions just drop me an email.

Aodhan

There are some people who live in a dream world, and there are some who face reality; and then there are those who turn one into the other.

-Douglas Everett, American hockey player

I read that McGuire used excessive amounts of both substances. Of course, I admit, everything I read I later find out is not accurate.

Over the counter supplements can be of concern since, depending on how they are classified, they may not be reviewed by any FDA type authority.. If you feel a need to take any such ting I would check with your doctor first so that he can evaluate both you and the substance. Good luck in your decision and in your quest.