• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Martial arts bad for you....

Bretty101

...erm, in some ways :wink:

Okay just my findings... Every muscle in your body has an antagonistic muscle. Basically if one muscle pulls a joint one way, there is another muscle to pull it back. obvious example, bicep/tricep. Bicep bends your arm tricep straightens it, great!

Now the problem... In the majority of martial arts you regularly do press ups, obviously pushing away and using your chest n triceps. However you never pull anything to wards you to work your back!

Another example a million sit ups but very rarely do you use the muscles in your back to bend the other way!

I think these excercises promote an imbalance. So when people wonder why they have back problems and bad postures. maybe this is why! What do you think?

I appreciate a lot of instructors don't do any back excercises because of the dangers of damaging peoples backs but do you think they should? Are they important?

Does this highlight a need for weight training to compliment your training to give a balance? What would be good excercises to do?

Your opinions please :grin:

Dribble

Bretty

[ This Message was edited by: Bretty101 on 2002-04-16 06:04 ]

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

If you're a well rounded martial artist these problems should not occur - as a generalisation, striking "pushes" grappling "pulls". Answer? Do both :grin:

YODA

2nd Degree Black Belt : Doce Pares Eskrima https://www.docepares.co.uk

Qualified Instructor : JKD Concepts https://www.jkdc.co.uk

Qualified Fitness Instructor (Weights, CV, Circuit, Kinesiology)

Thats where you step in and take it into your own hands... You can always go home and do extracurricular exercises if you aren't tired enough. I stretch daily and it has done wonders over the months.

Do unto others, as they done to you.

We personally do not do any push up or set ups in class. I think people pay to do karate not work out. If they want to lift on their own time more power to them, I do. However when I pay for instruction I want to be taught not to spend 2 hrs doing pushups.

We usually do some squat kicks and tention exercises at the end of class for a burn out but they are directily realted to training IMO.

If you do karate the way its ment to be donw you will have a well rounded workout.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."