• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

which martial art is the most focused on kicks?

Right now I think for me it's narrowed down to Muay Thai or kickboxing, Muay Thai sounds interesting but I wasn't able to find any Muay Thai specific schools around here, but there are a number of kickboxing ones so I guess that is the most likely option right now.

About the in close stuff, some of the chokes/submissions do seem kind of interesting but realistically I don't think I would have as much fun practicing that as just regular kickboxing. Will they teach any submission type stuff in a pure kickboxing school or do you have to get that separate?

If it's possible to learn submission at a pure kickboxing school I wouldn't turn it down, but practicing in a pure wrestling or jujitsu environment doesn't just sound as appealing to me personally.

thanks again for the suggestions =]

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am in a Muay Thai school and every once in a while some people practice submission (that is out side of muay thai). So I guess it just depends on the class. If you want to know call, or better yet, go to the schools and talk to one of their instructors and see if they do any submission.

Dear Ai Hate,

The biggest difference between Muay Thai and Kickboxing is the techniques.

Both use a variety of punches and kicks.

Muay Thai allows knees, lower kicks. To the thigh, and tripping is allowed. Some clinching, and throws from the clinch are also allowed.

In kickboxing, at least in full contact rules, all strikes, kicks MUST be above the waist. Foot sweeps are allowed but only to the front leg. Not he supporting leg.

Other differences: Kickboxers have to where footpads, and some requires shinguards. Thai fighters don't. Kickboxers are required to where long gi or satin style pants. Thai fighters where baggy shorts.

I hope this helped. And maybe this helps the one person who is intersted in starting in martial arts.

MonkeyNinja

Dear Ai Hate,

Muay Thai allows knees, lower kicks. To the thigh, and tripping is allowed. Some clinching, and throws from the clinch are also allowed.

In kickboxing, at least in full contact rules, all strikes, kicks MUST be above the waist. Foot sweeps are allowed but only to the front leg. Not he supporting leg.

Other differences: Kickboxers have to where footpads, and some requires shinguards. Thai fighters don't. Kickboxers are required to where long gi or satin style pants. Thai fighters where baggy shorts.

I hope this helped. And maybe this helps the one person who is intersted in starting in martial arts.

MonkeyNinja

Dear Ai Hate,

MonkeyNinja

Dear Ai Hate,

MonkeyNinja