• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

which martial art is the most focused on kicks?

tae kwon do will train you to kick _very_ well. just because tae kwon do contains some fancy kicks does _not_ mean that tkd doesn't have practical kicks. tkd will teach you to defend yourself, and as with _any_ martial art, your ability to fight will rely on your dedication to the art and training.

it's not the martial art, it's the martial artist. i highly recommend itf tae kwon do as an exercising, 'stand up', kicking style of fighting.

nothing against muay thai btw, i love it. but i have to stand up for tkd as an excellent choice in the martial arts. :smile:

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thank you for all the replies, I really appreciate it.

some other info, forgot to include:

21/m/Tucson AZ

about the (Tae Kwon Do)vs(Muay thai)vs(kickboxing) stuff, I don't care about looking impressive/stylish/graceful _at all_ (if this makes any difference in your recommendations).

I would much rather have practicality over art/grace, but not so far that I want to learn nasty street fighting stuff, I want to stay away from pure brute strength, locks/holds or anything like wrestling.

Looking in the online phone book under the category "martial arts instruction" there seems to be a lot of "karate" places (listing isn't very specific), and some Tae Kwon Do places, and others that just say "martial arts" but I haven't seen any Muay thai specific. Are there any online directories of these schools I could look at to locate one around here or is my best bet the phone book. And also are there any pages that have a clear list of the pros and cons of each one or compare them in any way (I have no clue what "Muay thai" is beyond what I've read in this thread)?

thanks again

If you are looking for a practical art i would choose Muay Thai over TKD. You can learn the basic Muay Thai moves faster (that is what I hear anyway, i have never taken TKD).

As for finding a school call all the places in the phone book and if that doesnt work just drive around and look for one.

Muay Thai Kickboxing is an art that came from Thailand and uses kick, punkes, elbows, knees, and clinching. I have taken it for awhile and love it.

If I were in your place I would narrow my search down to a few arts and then go to each one for at least one session (most places allow the first few for free). Then pick the one YOU like the best and stick to it. :idea:

Good luck in your search :karate:

I've been doing ITF TKD for years, done WTF for 2 years and Thai boxing for 2 years.

Thai boxing is fighting orientated, very powerful, very practical. my trouble is i can dish it out but i can't take the pain.

WTF great fast powerfull kicks (not as fighting orientated as thai as it has other factors kata etc) useless when against someone who will punch you in the face.

ITF Fast, flicky not as fighting orientated. considered a bit weak as it's 'semi' contact.

I'd say do TKD as your foundation art and steal the effective THAI moves and combine the 2. Thai thigh kicks are the most effective kicks i've ever learn.

Bretty

Well in that case you should take Muay Thai or Kickboxing :smile: But the choice is up to you whichever you think is better (ones that were metioned or others)

when you do your best it`s going to show.

"If you watch the pros, You will learn something new"

hey guys, this is an interesting thread so i just wanna put my two cents in :wink: i love stand up martial arts, and kicking is a real threat to a grappler. i know a thai boxer for example will take my head off with a round kick if i go strait for a clinch and am not very carefull... but to say you don't wanna learn any ground fighting or submission...isn't that kind of limiting yourself? just my oppinion :wink: take it or leave it.

pull them in, take them down, choke them out.