• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Frayed belts...

Okay, I have a bit of a funny story. I ran a thread similar to this a while back, mostly due to envy of frayed belts. I have two black belt. One is my original (and has grayish edges from wear) and an embroidered black belt. Also, I have an extra one that I ordered for a back up, but never wore.

I was talking to a black belt friend of mine about belts that look like this:

http://www.kwonusa.com/kwonUSA/shop_artikeldetails.asp?kid=475%2C513&agnr=1107

We were wondering how to make them look like that. So, I took my extra belt and went on a mission.

Razors and keys don't work. They shred, but don't wear down. I tied it to the back bumper of my truck (no joke) and drove around the block a few times. It did not change a bit.

So, I did the ultimate: sand paper. Yes, fine grit sand paper. It works and it works fast. I now have a belt that is worn down to gray and white patches all over it. It looks beyond cool, but I could never wear it out of guilt.

My theory is that anyone who has a belt that is worn down (like that above picture I linked to) sanded it down with a belt sander. There is no way that a worn belt would be worn on the back or sides. It will wear down on the front and ends, but what are you rubbing your butt on that would wear the back down equal to a sanding machine?

AoG

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, I have a bit of a funny story. I ran a thread similar to this a while back, mostly due to envy of frayed belts. I have two black belt. One is my original (and has grayish edges from wear) and an embroidered black belt. Also, I have an extra one that I ordered for a back up, but never wore.

I was talking to a black belt friend of mine about belts that look like this:

http://www.kwonusa.com/kwonUSA/shop_artikeldetails.asp?kid=475%2C513&agnr=1107

We were wondering how to make them look like that. So, I took my extra belt and went on a mission.

Razors and keys don't work. They shred, but don't wear down. I tied it to the back bumper of my truck (no joke) and drove around the block a few times. It did not change a bit.

So, I did the ultimate: sand paper. Yes, fine grit sand paper. It works and it works fast. I now have a belt that is worn down to gray and white patches all over it. It looks beyond cool, but I could never wear it out of guilt.

My theory is that anyone who has a belt that is worn down (like that above picture I linked to) sanded it down with a belt sander. There is no way that a worn belt would be worn on the back or sides. It will wear down on the front and ends, but what are you rubbing your butt on that would wear the back down equal to a sanding machine?

AoG

i dunno...but the picture above was one white belt....

at my dojo, we have 3 instructors that have a belt that is wears down to white. But mine and my other friends belts don't wear down. The 3 that wear down are heavier than ours and are made of a different fabric...what kind of belt did you wear down? Because I don't think my belt can do that...it will just get really soft and fade. But i don't think my belt will ever go white.

I never said it wasn't dangerous.

My black belt is pretty ratty after nearly 10 years of wearing it. It is a part of me in a way part of my history and I dred the day I have to put it to rest. Until the day that it snaps and I can't wear it anymore I will keep my old obi. It is true people cut it to make it look older but many times you can tell when they have done that. Especially when the belt is still stiff.

Brandon Fisher

Seijitsu Shin Do

haha, yeah...there was a guy who I trained with that left and went to another school because my instructor wouldn't put him up for his black belt. He got his a few months after mine, and, whaddya know...I saw him at that seminar a few weeks ago and you'd think he had his belt for decades. That fits him, though...

American Kenpo Karate- First Degree Black Belt

"He who hesitates, meditates in a horizontal position."

Ed Parker

I used to train with a guy that had a belt like that 2 years after did his BB test. If it were anyone else I might say "he trained a lot," but this guy didn't like to sweat. I'm sure he beat it w/ a rock or something. I have belts I've worn for 20 years that are as black as the day I got em. And other that turned grey w/in a year. But none look like these "masters" belts. :lol:

Edited by IcemanSK

Being a good fighter is One thing. Being a good person is Everything. Kevin "Superkick" McClinton

I've had my tokaido satin belt for 8 years and I just got my first very small ratty string, and only near the not is white. But I also have the super thick style, so others have had theirs for half as long and have twice the fray...

There's a picture of Olympic Gold medalists Juan Moreno wearing a new uniform & a very frayed belt. He's a young guy, but given his work ethic & accomplishments, it somehow looks good on him.

Being a good fighter is One thing. Being a good person is Everything. Kevin "Superkick" McClinton

In my oppinion you can tell when someone "helps" their belt be aged. Personally I think there's quite a bit of honor and pride in belts that do it on their own.

I will admit I washed mine so the starch would come out.. but that's the extent of mine.

~BBB

Training 14 years

Kalkinodo Blackbelt