• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Is 21 too late to take up kick boxing?

Obviously for general self defense or a cardio workout aspect it is really never too late to pick up any martial arts but in terms of Kickboxing/Muay Thai in an amateur fighting/serious training aspect is 21 to late?

In all the bios of professional fighters I have read it seems that 90% of them started at 10/11/12, were punching each other in the head at an amateur level by 16 and by age 23/24 are professional fighters.

Have I missed the boat? I began tkd at age 12 and was black belt by 16. Quit martial arts and have only recently (last 12 months) become interested in them (muay thai specifically) again at the age of 21.

Have I missed the boat in terms of fighting in this sport? are those teenage years through to adulthood vital to the success of a kick boxer and their fight experience? or is it simply a case of having the physical and mental ability to dedicate yourself to the training?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You will never know unless you start now and try

"Don't tell me the sky's the limit because I have seen footprints on the moon!" -- Paul Brandt

stop sitting around and kick up your training! A lot depends on natural skill, as well as a lot of training. If might a few years behind some of these fighters but your not getting any closer by doing nothing. So get going and catch up!

I never said it wasn't dangerous.

Listen,I don't think your to old for anything.So many people get infatuated with an age thing pertaining to the martial arts.I'll give you a good level of optimism here.One of my favorite all time kick boxers(God rest his soul) Alex Gong,he didn't even start training muay thai until he was 23.Bas Rutten seriously started training martial arts when he was 21,Rich Franklin started training at what 26? Many fighter these days figh into their mid thirties to early fourties,some even older.So relaistically speakin if you train and fight until your 41 that gives you 20 years.You can learn do and accomplish a lot in 20 years.So many people seem to think what matters most is how many years you've trained and it's not it at all.What matters is your desire,drive and what you do in those years that you have.

ISAIAH 53:5

"So many people seem to think what matters most is how many years you've trained and it's not it at all.What matters is your desire,drive and what you do in those years that you have."

Thats so true! Just look at Chuck Norris back in the day. He started training in the airforce at nineteen and, ten years later, became the professional middleweight full contact karate champion for seven years running. It comes down to what you can do, not how long you've trained.

"Achieving victory in every battle is not absolute perfection. Neutralizing an adversary’s forces without battle is perfection."

Sun-Tzu, The Art of War

I don't think you ever can get to old to start doing matrial arts!

If it's the thing you want to do, then do it :)

Karate is like boiling water; if you do not keep the flame high, it turns tepid. Funakoshi told his student, "for each day of practice you miss, the positive effects of three days of previous training are lost."

I have a collegue who became regional champion in kickboxing (ok not world champion .. however) and he started at 26.

Yeah,I hope we have helped you with our optimism,Your never to old to take up something you have a love for.Thats the beauty of martial arts,your going to go as far as you will yourself to go.Regardless of age.God bless you in all of your endeavors.

ISAIAH 53:5