• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I live in the south bay area (San Jose, Saratoga). I was wondering if anyone knew any Jiu Jitsu or Aikido dojos in these areas. Also I was just wondering which style would be right for me. I just want a style that ends fights quickly with quick blows.

One death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic

-Joseph Stalin

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
I live in the south bay area (San Jose, Saratoga). I was wondering if anyone knew any Jiu Jitsu or Aikido dojos in these areas. Also I was just wondering which style would be right for me. I just want a style that ends fights quickly with quick blows.

If you look for self-defence internal MA are not raccomended. It will teach you self-defence like all MAs but it will take a lot of time to apply the principles to self-defence so this rules out Aikido. Ju Jitsu is better but it is mostly a grappling martial art with a percentage of striking techniques that changes from school to school (it can range from 10% to 50%).

If you want a striking art with self-defence application I raccomend Jeet Kune Do, Muay Thay, Kyoukushin Karate (or any kind of karate, kempo or kickboxing with self-defence applications) or wing chun.

I'd recommend Muay Thai, Kick Boxing or Aikido as they have a range of moves that can almost always end a fight quickly when applied correctly. They are also more focused on self-defence than the internal side of Martial Arts. :)

"...to stand between the candle and the shining moon..."

Out of the two you mentioned, for quickness of application I'd go with jujitsu.

For ending a fight quickly without alot of grappling I'd suggest Karate(although it may take awhile to learn your full potential).

"Time is what we want most, but what we use worst"

William Penn

Both arts you mentioned are about as far from "end a fight with quick blows" as you can get. Aikido -can- be really effective, eventually, once it steeps in long enough. Focuses on catching an attack and evading it and tying the attacker into knots with it.

JJ - you used the Brasilian spelling, thus probably BJJ, which focuses on taking a person to the ground then slowly using awareness of the opponent and balance to be able to put them into a submission.

"Anything worth doing is worth doing badly." - Baleia

When you say "ends fights quickly with quick blows"

If you mean throwing blows as quickly as possible, wing chun and american kenpo specialize in the speed of multiple blows.

If you mean ending the fight with a very few number of blows, shotokan has the "one fast and powerful strike" philosophy of fighting, but many shotokan schools do not necessarily put a great deal of emphasis on self defence and street fighting. Wing chun and american kenpo both do.

ichi-go ichi-e

一期一会

one encounter, one chance

danbong, i tend to disagree about shotokan. I strictly train in Shotokan and our instructor focuses heavily self defense against punches, kicks, and weapons. He also teaches a vast amount of releases. My self defense training is actually what I look forward to in class. I do think however that if varies from school to school.

A great martial artist is one who is humble and respectful of others.

danbong, i tend to disagree about shotokan. I strictly train in Shotokan and our instructor focuses heavily self defense against punches, kicks, and weapons. He also teaches a vast amount of releases. My self defense training is actually what I look forward to in class. I do think however that if varies from school to school.

Yea I think you're right on this one.

"Time is what we want most, but what we use worst"

William Penn