• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

new to karate- bit overweight??

hey all,

I currently weight 245, and i am looking to pursue an art, TKD. I want to lose some extra weight before i start formal training, but im not sure what works best. I eat fairly well (healthy) and i walk on a treadmill 40min a day/ 6 days a week. any suggestions to lose weight before training, or should i go into TKD and let the weight melt off from training?

a journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step

-unknown

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Not trying to be sarcastic but there is only one fool proof way to lose weight without somehow harming your body - Eat less, exercise more! You lose weight when you on average give your body less calories than it needs in a day so it has to burn fat. This is by no means telling you to starve yourself, but change at least one of the two variables. Certainly doesn't mean you can't treat yourself either! As to whether to start TKD yet, personally i feel as a beginner the weight would not make much difference to start and the added exercise would certainly help.

In the end it must be your decision, and it must be sustainable.

Hope this helps

Jon

Take life and live it

Not trying to be sarcastic but there is only one fool proof way to lose weight without somehow harming your body - Eat less, exercise more! You lose weight when you on average give your body less calories than it needs in a day so it has to burn fat. This is by no means telling you to starve yourself, but change at least one of the two variables. Certainly doesn't mean you can't treat yourself either! As to whether to start TKD yet, personally i feel as a beginner the weight would not make much difference to start and the added exercise would certainly help.

Hope this helps

Jon

here is my opinion, im kind of a health nut and i found that you shouldnt really eat less but just change the way you eat. by all means eat the same amount of food you eat now just eat stuff low in fat and calories and high in carbs (some say carbs are bad but i disagree, they are an excellent source of fuel) and high in protein

as far as excercising you should do something that gets your heart pumping at a pretty good rate for about 30-40 mins (practice martial arts at a fast rate, jog or run, i dont prefer walking cause it doesnt get your heart pumping enough, even jump roping is good) going to TKD will definitely help as cardio work. make sure you keep lifting weights and doing strength exercises cause you dont want to lose muscle mass you just fat

i hope i helped good luck

"Bushido is realized in the presence of death"

"TapouT or PassouT"

See the whole carbs problem is that when people drop fats they tend not to realise the amount of carbs ure eating. I.e toast sandwiches pasta for dinner or chips or rice. I mean carbs are good for you and (complex) carbs are the best fuel around. However white bread bad (salt additives etc v bad!) same way crisps chips etc are bad. Mainly common sense is all that is needed. Also the other big factor that any processed (by the body) carbs that aren't used are converted to fat! To make things all the more complicated you need a certain amount of fat a)to digest properly b)to release energy from carbs c)healthy skin, nails etc. So cutting out all fats is pointless and ill informed, however reducing fat intake (especially saturated fats) is key!

Hope this helps

Jon

Take life and live it

as long as u remain active u should have no problem with carbs being converted to fat, i eat very low fat and low calorie food, and food very high in protein and carbs. eating like this and taking my martial arts and running 2 miles 4 days a week im in the best shape i could ever be in

jh5638: as far as those who dont pay attention to their carb intake are making a big mistake, you should monitor every thing you intake, and you must have misunderstood me i didnt say to cut fats off completely i just said to eat foods low in fat

"Bushido is realized in the presence of death"

"TapouT or PassouT"

I love to eat, but came to realize that was my downfall. I have been portioning foods and this seems to be helping. I haven't lost any weight (had an appt today), but i am noticing differences in my body shape, i seem to be toning where i want to. I do walk fast now everyday (40 min), but i will soon be incorporating jogging as well into my routine. I agree that carbs are fuel, but like a car, if you keep filling it and not driving it or working it, you will just keep overfilling the tank with gas, and not burning what needs to be burned. Thanks for the tidbits, and cant wait to shed the pounds!

a journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step

-unknown

Hope this helps

Jon

here is my opinion, im kind of a health nut and i found that you shouldnt really eat less but just change the way you eat. by all means eat the same amount of food you eat now just eat stuff low in fat and calories and high in carbs (some say carbs are bad but i disagree, they are an excellent source of fuel) and high in protein

as far as excercising you should do something that gets your heart pumping at a pretty good rate for about 30-40 mins (practice martial arts at a fast rate, jog or run, i dont prefer walking cause it doesnt get your heart pumping enough, even jump roping is good) going to TKD will definitely help as cardio work. make sure you keep lifting weights and doing strength exercises cause you dont want to lose muscle mass you just fat

i hope i helped good luck

Yes! Yes! Excersise at a good rate (jogging or biking, etc) for 30-40 mins once a day will allow for a good eater :) to get into shape. I'd up that walking on the treadmill to running. Also, if you keep the excersising up and go to martial arts, carbing up will be good.

You suck-train harder.......................Don't block with your face

A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.

-Lao Tzu

No doctor here but I would think that it would depend on other factors. 6'4" 245 pounds vs 5'8" and 245 pounds there is a significant difference as to what to do. Age is also a factor. Personally, I found that once I hit 40 my metabolism slowed. At 45 is slowed again and at 50...there are times I am not sure it is working at all. My point here is I eat healthy (do a lot of juicing of various veggies in my Juiceman and I also try to eat solid foods too but I, obviously, am consuming too much. Too much of a good thing is still too much I found out.

If you are really heavy (and not just a few pounds over weight) I would check with my doctor before starting any diet or nutritional schedule. (that's what all of the diet programs say and they say it for a reason). The best of luck to you.

"Don't tell me the sky's the limit because I have seen footprints on the moon!" -- Paul Brandt