• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Have you ever rented a Martial Art training DVD?

Have you ever rented a Martial Art training DVD?  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Have you ever rented a Martial Art training DVD?

• No
    • Yes, frequently (2-3 times a week).
    • Yes, a few times a month.
    • Once or twice but they didn't do much for me.

You can rent them things???? I never knew that. It would be interesting to see how other styles do it and not have to buy the DVD! Got to find me a rental.

"Don't tell me the sky's the limit because I have seen footprints on the moon!" -- Paul Brandt

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Take my advice, in all the martial art videos I seen they go far to fast to get anything accomplish so I have to keep rewindng it back and fourth, so unless you got a dvd instead of vhs it will be harder to learn. But I really like karate books easier to learn

"Martial Arts is kinda like yin and yang when you think about it; it 50% physical and 50% mental"

I've never rented instructional tapes, however I have purchased tons of tapes and dvds. Many were advertised as "never seen before moves" of which the majority of them featured moves that I already knew. Of all the tapes/dvds that I purchased, I would rate 10% of them as a complete waste of money. 60% of them as some good information. 25% as very informative and 5% as outstanding.

I also agree with ShadowFox that dvds are much easier to learn from than VHS tapes.

What works works

That's my experience as well. While most of the instructionals that I have bought were informative I'd say that out of the 30 or so techniques per tape/dvd I only actually learned 3-4 NEW techniques. So I think this might be a good idea.

Instead of paying 29.99-39.99 buying the dvd's for those 3-4 new techniques you can rent them for whatever the rental price is. Of course based on this poll I might have to tell him to ditch the idea altogether.

Never rented but I've bought some.

I like to watch them, they are useful supplements, of course they do not substitute actual training, but they may be helpful.

when i was training hwarang do, i had some instructional hwarang do videos that helped to serve as reminders or touch ups to what i'd already learn, as well as perhaps a preview of what i'd be learning later. they helped a great deal that way. i've never tried one from another style.

"I hear you can kill 200 men and play a mean six string at the same time..."-Six String Samurai

It is nice to read the responses from this post. I think everyone who had looked at instructional tapes did it with having Martial Arts experience. It amazes me that there are people who only want to train using tapes and not seek instruction in a dojo setting.

A great martial artist is one who is humble and respectful of others.

I've never rented a Martial Arts DVD. However, after attending a seminar I do like to purchase a DVD that covers the content of the seminar, purely for reference purposes. Most people on leaving a seminar only retain 60% of what they have been shown/taught, so buying a DVD is an investment.

DVD's I've purchased are from Instructors such as, Richard Dimitri, Geoff Thompson, Peter Consterdine, Rodney 'Chico' King, Dennis Martin, Lee Morrison, Master Sken, etc, etc, all top quality instructors.

DCMS.

"There's nothing wrong with my defence, you attacked me wrong!"

That is one thing to train from a DVD after you have taken the course. It will definetly help to refresh your memory. It is another to train only and try to rank to Black Belt using just DVD's.

A great martial artist is one who is humble and respectful of others.

how are the Krav maga tapes out there. I have a passing interest in the hype. :brow: is there one i should get.

I rented KravMaga: In The Line Of Fire from NetFlix.

It's an hour long DVD on defense against a gun waving attacker. The information was well presented with real speed, slow motion & step by step breakdown demonstrations. They teach a common sense approach to gun disarming, cooperate with the attacker at first, but don't hesitate to use the techniques if you feel threatened you're going to get shot anyway. Practicing martial artists will find technique movements similar to their own styles.