• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Holding side kick vertical

xnfx

Hey guys.

I was watching some ISKA kata competitions on ESPN, and there were a couple amazing guys. They could hold their side kick almost vertical. I was wondering if you guys could tell me what kind of stretches and exercises you do to achieve that? I know it takes years or persistance, but what can get me started towards that goal?

Thanks

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Getting your kick that high at full speed first just takes learning the proper technique and developing the correct muscles with repetition. Holding it is bit different. Most of that comes from developing your hip flexors and back muscles. I'm currently trying to raise my tension side kick which is in my form, and I have found the best way is to practice alot of tension side kicks. Hold on to a bar or wall or partner and lock out a side kick as high as you can. Hold for 10 seconds, pushing your foot upward by tensing up your hip muscles. Then rechamber. Do alot of these on both sides and you wil see gradual improvement.

If you must perform this stunt for kata purposes, you can start by doing it on the floor. Lay on your side, with your bottom leg bent (for balance) and prop yourself op on your elbow. Throw your kick and hold, aim for a minute. Keep on increasing the time and angle. Then you can move on to standing, repeating the process all over again.

Apart from being a neat, if big headed, party trick...i dont see the point in wanting to do that. You want to kick and snap back not leave it out there...unless you want someone to use your leg to take you down.Then your in trouble.

Pardon me if i am being ignorant on this one.

Be like water my friend!!

Apart from being a neat, if big headed, party trick...i dont see the point in wanting to do that. You want to kick and snap back not leave it out there...unless you want someone to use your leg to take you down.Then your in trouble.

Sorry, i guess for grading...forms and kata its relevant. Wouldnt want to do that on the street though.

I saw this guy do this in a pub once to show off. What a jerk!

Be like water my friend!!

To me it means that you've reached a certain level of flexability and strength that many people have'nt. I know it would'nt be practical in a lot of situations, but for me it's a goal that I would really like to achieve. :)

I'd think you would want to do a lot of leg lifts to work the outside of your glutes as well as work on your splits. No amount of strength is going to get your kick to stay up there if you're not flexible enough to do it.

It's a basic principle: You want to be better at pushups, you do pushups, you want to get better at sparring, you spar. Hold your side kick out as high as you can for a period of 10-15 seconds, then rechamber, and repeat a few times. Do this every day or every other day, and you'll get better at it. True, it's not practical, but neither is the ability to stand on a basketball on one leg while kicking with the other. However, the balance gained from doing so is very valuable. Likewise, the strength in the hip flexors and flexibility from holding a side kick are valuable.