• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Why do we train?

Brady

I began training for self-defense purposes. I continue to train because I love it. It is like TKD is a part of me now. If I didn't do TKD, it just wouldn't feel right. It would be like a hole was torn in me.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I began training for self-defense purposes. I continue to train because I love it. It is like TKD is a part of me now. If I didn't do TKD, it just wouldn't feel right. It would be like a hole was torn in me.

I'm just the same as that bushido, i feel like crying when i can't get to a class let alone having to take time off for another reason...thats how important and serious it is :D

Walk away and your always a winner. https://www.shikata-shotokan.co.uk

Why do we train? If we don't, then the ideas and concepts of Karate would be lost... Simple as that.

To know the road ahead; ask those coming back... ~ Chinese Proverb

" The ultimate aim of Karate lies not in victory or defeat, but in the perfection of the character of its participants. " ~ Master Funakoshi

I started training because my parents wanted me to occupy myself with an after-school activity when I was younger. (I was 6 when I started) They said that I could pick the activity, and for some reason I was drawn to the martial arts (although, it was all "karate" to me then). However, as the years went by I began to love the training more and more to the point where it's become such a big part of my life, it is my identity. I am a martial artist, and so I must continue to train, I just feel drawn to the training.

"To win a fight without fighting, that is the true goal of a martial artist."

-Grandmaster Nick Cerio

i started because the rest of my family did, but i stay in it because i love it. if i'm bored there is nothing i would rather do than run through all of my katas, or practice walking drills.

"Live life easy and peacefully, but when it is time to fight become ferocious."

I started karate when I was 8, on a dare by two friends who dared me to walk into the downtown dojo when there was a class going on. It was in an old windowless building, a dark and spooky place where all kinds of painful noises came from inside. Not being a chicken but not a fool either, I dared them right back, so the three of us walked in.

We entered the huge main door into a dimly lit foyer (A single light bulb covered by a chinese patterened lantern shade with red tassles.) The foyer area was empty and foreboding with no indication that this even was a karate school. Everything was quiet except for the creak of the old floor boards that we walked on. There was a pungent smell in the air. A mix of old polished wood and something else. Infront of us was a set of solid oak double swinging doors. We slowly pushed on one of the heavy doors, (which took some effort to open) to peek inside and found the next room to be large and dimly lit as well with a light at the far end. Inside we found 6 students practicing Sanchin (of course whe had no idea what they were doing at the time). Then in the shadows, to our immediate left we saw a huge 6 foot 6 inch monster dressed in white. All three of us froze in our tracks. We wanted to run but nothing would move. We thought we were all going to be eaten alive by the giant dressed in white PJs. (an 8 yr olds worst nightmare)

It turned out our monster was the instructor, a very friendly and soft spoken person who, the more he spoke the less ominous he seemed (up to a point). We were welcomed and invited to watch. Reluctantly we did, fearing a trap where we would be sacrificed and rend limb from limb by these 6 other rather nasty looking people. After watching the class, all fears finally aside, the three of us were entranced by what we saw and could not wait to drag our parents down so we could join the school. I can still smell the polished wood and Tiger Balm when I think of that time. 47 years later, I am now the 6 foot 2 inch monster lurking in the shadows by the dojo door. :D

well.... i started training a little over a year ago.. i am 21, and i started training in hopes to gain more self esteem, and confidence. and so far so good. :-) training in the martial arts has helped me in so many ways mentally.. i have been going through some really hard times lately and this has helped me to focus on something other then the bad stuff. I dont think i could thank my sensei enough for how he has helped me.

"Disqualification before Dishonor"

When I was 6yrs old, my Sensei had just opened up a dojo. It was specifically built to be a dojo, with the bamboo matts etc. He already three other successful dojo's in other towns not far from me. But we didn't know that!

Anyhow, my dad (who was a 2nd Dan in Judo) was me to go and do Judo, but I was too young... So the leaflet came through the door, and instead of my dad asking me, I asked him! Before long, he had phoned up about the times, and we went down there!

We entered the Dojo, and it had the smell of new paint in the air... :lol: It stunk! :D Anyhow; we walked into his office, and he was doing some paper work, and there with him was his Assistant Instructor... WE both exchanged hello's, and by then, all of his other students came to the lesson (apparently they wanted to "test" out the building! :lol)

So, Dad and I sat there watching, and they did some kata work (Bassai Dai, Kanku Dai and Tekki) along with some drills... After I had seen Bassai Dai and some drills, I knew that I wanted to begin to learn and practice Shotokan Karate...

That very same day, I signed up, got my gi and obi; and I was away! :lol:

That was the best day of my life! Signing up into Martial Arts! Now here I am! 3rd Kyu in Shotokan Adult Syllabus, won loads of reginoal competitions, and also an Assistant Intructor! The one I mentioned earlier retired, and so I was assigned to it!

:karate:

To know the road ahead; ask those coming back... ~ Chinese Proverb

" The ultimate aim of Karate lies not in victory or defeat, but in the perfection of the character of its participants. " ~ Master Funakoshi

I started doing martial arts when I was eight because my father felt it was a necessary skill. I moved on to Karate after a break when I was 14. I do it to keep active, remain focused & of course for self-defence.

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu