• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Why do we train?

Brady

There are a lot of different people on this boards, and they display many different takes on martial arts. I was just wondering why each of us decided to train at martial arts, and how old we were.

Brady

"You can't learn karate from a book. You gotta paint the fence."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Brady.

Good question.

one of the reasons i started karate was that i wanted to get fit.

i did judo for a lil while when i was young but i didnt like getting thrown around, i didnt learn anything.

so iwas thinking i want a new hobby and i wanna get fit i wannt do something new, iwant a new challenge...a few days later i got a leaflet through the door about a karate club in the area! i thought hmm this must be a sign so i started and ive loved it ever since :karate:

i have had a few moments where i hated it and wanted to quit but that wooda been easy. the only reason i wanted to quit was coz i was struggling and not trying hard enough. so i got my head down and got stuck in and im glad i did

i started in october 2004. i am currently a yellow belt

steve

25 year old student of Shotokan Karate since october 2004.

From Scotland

Current grade: Green Belt

i have had a few moments where i hated it and wanted to quit but that wooda been easy. the only reason i wanted to quit was coz i was struggling and not trying hard enough. so i got my head down and got stuck in and im glad i did

Good post, kihonkai :) I get to the point where I wanna quit, but I think you're right. I make too many excuses and I don't try hard enough at those times (sometimes I'm too hard on myself also). I think I will print your post and hang it on my wall.

Anyways, I started MA in Oct 2000 (at age 24). I started for self defense. But it became addicting (other than the times above :( ).

Laurie F

that is an awkward question for me to answer because I don't know why I started training. I started when I was thirteen and am now fourteen. I have a fifth kyu in shotokan. I do have a theroy on why I might have joined though, but it isn't a very good reason. I wanted to excel in something and try something new not only that in a sense I also wanted power. not too be creepy or anything of course.

everyone has fear, but it is when we let it overcome us that we lose

soft, hard, slow, fast components of kata

I started for self-defence but that's not the main reason why I stick with it now.

I just googled 'karate why train' and I found this among other links:

http://www.jkasv.com/article0002.html

It seems like there is an article for just about everything there.

Here's another one from the search:

http://www.ezinearticles.com/?Top-8-Reasons-To-Train-Martial-Arts&id=133978

I returned to my dojo to prove that I could still do it after a 12 year absence. I'm now 26, and just got my green belt. I keep training so that my body gets some exercise, and so that I might stand more of a chance if I end up getting attacked one night.

shotokan all the way, baby

My mum took me and my brother to a wado ryu club when I was 6. I trained for less than a year but left when we moved house.

I started up again 10 years later and haven't stopped since. For me, I wanted to get confident as I got bullied at school. Plus I wanted to be able to defend myself as I got into a rather nasty situation the year before involving me, my best friend vs 3 guys built like rugby players drunk as skunks kicking the seven shades of stuff out of us. A guy knocked on my door asking me to join and I haven't looked back since. Now I teach and run my own club full-time and one of the prime motivators for me is that I want to be able to teach others to protect themselves so that what happened to me all those years ago doesn't happen to anybody else.

Richard Hang Hong

Chief Instructor

Seitou Ryu Karate

Find me on Facebook!Seitou Ryu Karate

As a kid I would see my father practice Karate in the rec. room and back yard. As most kids my age I was into he-man and g.i. joe so mimicking my father doing karate seemed like the fun thing to do. My father saw that I was enthusiastic about karate so started teaching me when I was 3 or so.

All he really taught me was how to tsuki, zenkutsu datchi, and mae geri. I always did martial arts as more of a game when I was a kid and didn't start to take it serious until I was 15. I trained with a gentleman that was of of Samurai descent and took Karate very serious. He hit harder then anyone I sparred with. Everything he did was hard and for some crazy reason I enjoyed it.

I'll always remember the summer of '96 when everyone from my dojo competing in the 96' USANKF Nationals spent 6 hours, 5 days a week training for Nationals. Most of us were teens, with one home maker, and the gentleman I spoke of that somehow had the time to train. We would train 3 hours in the morning then another 3 hours at night. I was 16 at the time and this was the first time I was exposed to any really hard training. Out of the 9 people that competed, 7 of us placed 3rd or higher in kata and kumite but this is besides the point..just the memories of all of us training hard. If it wasn't for the people I trained with there is no way that I would have had the discipline by myself to train this way.

This is why I like martial arts, it's for the spirit that I feel training around others that like to train.

flowing like the chi energy inside your body b =rZa=

I'd always wanted to try karate as a kid, but didn't get the chance. A couple of years ago I started at age 34, because my sons wanted to try it. I haven't stopped since. I agree, there are times when it's tough but it's also good to look back and see how much improvement has happened in those two years.

"They can because they think they can." - School Motto.

(Shodan 11th Oct 08)