• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I feel like a truck hit me! In my endevour to train with as many different teachers as I can I picked a tough one last night! A Former MMA fighter. This is the first non BJJ guy I have trained with and the first thing I found out is BJJ should do a much better job training aginst heel hooks. I took him down he pulled guard I stood up to pass and he whipped on a heel hook I spun once for show then taped. He was real good at keeping it safe and I was amazed at his skill not being a BJJ guy. But what hurt me the most was His level of fitness far exceeded my own. I did manage to guilotine him from my halfguard but I did not know it untill after he made me tap, then he told me I had him, that he blacked out for a little bit then came back...He smiled and said he never taps. I rolled with him for an hour straight and get this because it is a kickboxing school I did this on carpet and now I have some lovley burns :kaioken: But it was very cool to train out of my element and I learned from it and that is what it is all about!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Nice story, sounds like it was some exellent training...

I remember the last time I was at a MMA place and a guy had me in some sort of situation where my shoulder was completly torn apart for a few months because I didn't tape out, but I still trained anyway...

"Time is what we want most, but what we use worst"

William Penn

This is the first non BJJ guy I have trained with and the first thing I found out is BJJ should do a much better job training aginst heel hooks.

Who says that BJJ fighters dont defend heel hooks? Any no gi competition you see will have heel hooks left and right- its a very common, very simple, and very devestating footlock.

Besides that, Im of the opinion that while footlocks are so valued in submission wrestling matches, their value drops considerably once punches are introduced.

He smiled and said he never taps.
Hopefully he was joking..but passing out before tapping in a training session is a bit much..sometimes ego can hinder your training.

Some of the guys in my class do MMA, so Theey show me alot of things they use, I also had trouble defending heel hooks and Knee bars at firs, but you get used to looking for them eventualy

"Without Jiu Jitsu its like without my two legs."

-Rickson Gracie

https://www.myspace.com/cobraguard

Yeh, heel hooks are a real weakenss of mine, too.

You suck-train harder.......................Don't block with your face

A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.

-Lao Tzu