• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Why do you do forms?

Although many people expecially from modern MA think they are either useless or not optimized I think that the practice of form has a lot of benefits.

They are good lo learn proper body mechanics, coordination and equilibrium, some in my style are ci kung exercices (Sancin, Tensho) so they have specific health benefits.... and aside all that they are fun, and they make me feel part of a large tradition just thinking that the movement you are doing are repeated throughout the world and thruoghout time (since at least one century in my case but think about the 8 pieces of brocade in kung fu... it is almost 8 century old).

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Forms contain the essence of whichever style they belong to , they define the style being practised, and provide us the means to perfect that style.

Forms operate on various levels, the first is a physical level to become familiar with the techniques and condition the body, once we are familiar , we go to the second level and that is perfecting the nuances of the techniques, then we reach for the third and hardest level , the understanding of the energy and spirit within the forms.

Personally i find forms to an integral part of martial arts, and thoroughly enjoy the practice of them, couldnt imagine any other way.

Without long practice one cannot suddenly understand Tai Chi : - Tai Chi Classics

I just love to do them. They offer me a type of meditation and focus I can attain by no other means.

To those who would argue that kata (forms) are not necessary to learn how to fight...I would not disagree. While kata contain all the fighting techniques of their particular system...for me they have never been about fighting. I just love them.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

I first started doing forms because it was a requirement (was not crazy about doing them). Now I actually enjoy them. I continue to look for ways to improve on each form I've learned.

I love doing katas!!!

I like how they help me to work on my technique, balance, and especially martial art movement.

You suck-train harder.......................Don't block with your face

A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.

-Lao Tzu

Because my inscructor told me a good way to practice my martials arts was to do the forms. Also I like to challenge myself with techniques.

"Martial Arts is kinda like yin and yang when you think about it; it 50% physical and 50% mental"

i wouldnt say that i hate or love hyungs(kata) but they are extremely helpful in developing muscle memory, power, speed, strength, etc...their worth the effort if you practice all the time.

martial arts may be made fun of by people who dont understand them---teach these people the true beauty and power of our arts and they will learn, understand, and remember for forever.

---being a teacher is not just an honor its an experience that benifits not only the student but the instructor.