• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Does anyone else have a goal in mind?

Echoing what several of you have said, I had several goals from my MA studies. I started for fitness, discipline and just plain coolness-factor for being a MA student! :karate: I like to think that I've achieved (at least partially) the first two. My goals are to continue to gain in all of them, as well as gain wisdom from my studites. A black belt would be a nice but not my ultimate goal. As Jay says on his signature, a belt is just a piece of cloth...

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm 3rd dan and my longterm goal at the moment is to earn my 9th dan before I die. If I've figured it out correctly and I don't take any breaks between now and then, I should be at 9th dan by the time I'm 54. :D Like I said, LONGterm goal!

When peace, like a river, attendeth my way. When sorrows like sea billows roll. Whatever my lot, thou hast taught me to say, 'It is well, it is well with my soul.'

I started for self-defense, but have decided that MA balances out my life in a way. I stay because MA is a journey, and it's a journey that is in alignment with my personal path. My goal is to be fully present at each step of the journey. Here is what is currently right in front of me:

1) my first kata tournament

2) doing 30 on-my-toes push-ups

3) jogging 3 hilly miles in 30 minutes

4) next kyu test

White belt mind. Black belt heart.

Rejoice and be glad!

it may sound far fetched and alittle crazy but i am 17, i am aiming to make either the 2008 or 2012 olympic team. that means winning state, regionals, nationals, then trying out. but weither i succeed or not, it will be a great learning experience.

-scad

nomatter what it be, will power and heart produces great things

I started for self-defense, but have decided that MA balances out my life in a way. I stay because MA is a journey, and it's a journey that is in alignment with my personal path. My goal is to be fully present at each step of the journey. Here is what is currently right in front of me:

1) my first kata tournament

2) doing 30 on-my-toes push-ups

3) jogging 3 hilly miles in 30 minutes

4) next kyu test

I like that. You have goals similar to mine (other than forms champ). I finally did 30 push-ups (with messed up wrists .... which is a big thing for me). I have to do all this physical stuff for BB (running 1 and 1/2 miles in 13 minutes, and a bunch of other stuff). But, for me, I want to do this stuff for personal satisfaction, not just for my BB. I want to get fit. Getting my BB is just a perk. TKD got me where I am now. I just wanna push that more. Plus become better at sparring and I know just the person to ask (as well as forms). She knows who I'm talking about ;) Hiya ninjanurse ;)

Laurie F

italian_guy and Fairfax_Uechi, you hit the nail on the head for me. Aside from what both of you stated (which is so true for me), I like to become Forms champion (traditional) and breaking (sorry, a couple of my stupid little goals along the way). And get my BB in TSD just because (oops ... did I say that out loud ?!?!?!?!?! ...).

TSD? I thought you were studying TKD. Is this a Freudian Lapsus? :-?

My goal is to continue learning and growing as I am. Once I am ready, I would like to either take over teaching in the dojo where I train, or open my own dojo. I would also like to teach self defense to women who are like myself before I started karate, so they can successfully defend themselves in bad situations.

But, I'm only a lowly orange belt right now, so I have a looooooong way to go before I get there. That is what I have in mind for the future though.

to learn all there is to budo and become as good as my sensei and if i can better to make him and myself proud and to protect people

White belt for life

"Destroy the enemies power but leave his life"