• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Does anyone else have a goal in mind?

My original goal was to get control over stress in my life. After years of training and achieving dan levels, my new goal is to keep going until my body says "stop trying to kill me!" :)

A great martial artist is one who is humble and respectful of others.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My goal is to get enjoyment out of martial arts, which I think I've accomplished.

Same as me... but I'm also struggling to improuve my physical and technical abilities in karate. Concerning belts and grades they are ok as motivators sometimes but I'm careful to not overestimate their value.

At age 41 I started TKD tranning. I'm 42 now. My goal is to earn a black belt by the age of 45. Just wondering if anyone else is working towards a similar type of goal, or has been successful in completing their goal.

When I started training my goal was to earn a black belt. When I earned my first belt, it was to earn the next one to reach my goal of black belt. Along the way, the belts became a measuring stick to help me stay focused on the goal. But a strange thing also happened. The goal of black belt became another mile mark. It was no longer an end goal. The goal then became to learn as much about martial arts as possible. To be the best martial artist and person that I could become.

Have I met my goals. Well the short answer is yes and now. yes, I've earned quite a few belts. But I have a long way to go with becoming a martial artist. Sure, I'm developing peace and tranquility, but I'm still striving for a much deeper internal understanding. Something that takes many years to fully understand and something that beginners don't even think about.

Good luck in your goals. You can, no make that will, achieve them and a geat deal more if you keep focused on them.

I want to be able to express myself truthfull

Through MA i have quite a bit, however my main ones are to learn control and dicipline. And also my complete obsession of prefecting every aspect of Shotokan I know and dont know(even if it kills me).

"Time is what we want most, but what we use worst"

William Penn

italian_guy and Fairfax_Uechi, you hit the nail on the head for me. Aside from what both of you stated (which is so true for me), I like to become Forms champion (traditional) and breaking (sorry, a couple of my stupid little goals along the way). And get my BB in TSD just because (oops ... did I say that out loud ?!?!?!?!?! ...).

Laurie F

Fairfax hit it for me too, ive always aimed for the next belt and from there ive aimed for the belt and what is needed of me. However, slight words when my last grading was 10 years ago and that was my black belt! Im now 21 and my exodus from goshin Ju-jitsu has just fed my need for a target to be reached. Im itching to take my 2nd dan in 2 years time but by then i want to spread the knowledge ive learnt from other martial arts in the last 10 years to the other students i work with. Through joint strength we all grow stow methinks!

I started Shotokan Karate about 14 months ago. Since then I have lost 30 pounds of fat, gotten into great shape, worked my way from about 2 pushups to 30 pushups, and it has made me a better person.

My goals are to be able to do 50 consecutive pushups, 10 pullups, do the splits (front and side). Also become a better MA and become an instructor. Like Menjo, I want to perfect everything lol, from my stances to punches to blocks to strikes and forms.