• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Anything can happen in MMA, especially against a skilled BJJ guy. People tend to forget the amazing fights Royce has had against seemingly indestructible opponents. Also, he can rest quite a bit on the ground, which evens out some of his conditioning disadvantage.

That said, he is 39, and top fighters like Hughes have made dramatic leaps in technique and conditioning. Unless he makes a mistake (entirely possible) I see Hughes winning by decision. Hope I'm wrong, though. Should be a fun bout to watch.

Respectfully,

Sohan

This unfortunately is not the case anymore in the UFC. I doubt Royce will have time to rest and wait on the ground. As if they didnt already stand fighters up fast enough, the very defensive style of Royce will only encourage the ref to stand them up as the uneducated spectators boo the ground game.

I didn't say he'll necessarily wait, though if Big John is refereeing I am certain that Royce will be given ample time to plan his attack and keep an eye out for opportunities. He'll still have more time to rest on the ground than on foot, so I believe a ground game favors Gracie.

With respect,

Sohan

"If I cannot become one of extraordinary accomplishment, I will not walk the earth." Zen Master Nakahara Nantenbo

"A man who has attained mastery of an art reveals it in his every action." Samuarai maxim

"Knowing others is wisdom; knowing yourself is Enlightenment." Lao-Tzu

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anything can happen in MMA, especially against a skilled BJJ guy. People tend to forget the amazing fights Royce has had against seemingly indestructible opponents. Also, he can rest quite a bit on the ground, which evens out some of his conditioning disadvantage.

That said, he is 39, and top fighters like Hughes have made dramatic leaps in technique and conditioning. Unless he makes a mistake (entirely possible) I see Hughes winning by decision. Hope I'm wrong, though. Should be a fun bout to watch.

Respectfully,

Sohan

This unfortunately is not the case anymore in the UFC. I doubt Royce will have time to rest and wait on the ground. As if they didnt already stand fighters up fast enough, the very defensive style of Royce will only encourage the ref to stand them up as the uneducated spectators boo the ground game.

I didn't say he'll necessarily wait, though if Big John is refereeing I am certain that Royce will be given ample time to plan his attack and keep an eye out for opportunities. He'll still have more time to rest on the ground than on foot, so I believe a ground game favors Gracie.

With respect,

Sohan

There is a big difference in trying to submit someone that doesnt realize what your doing (which is what Royce was really good at in the beginning) and trying to submit and rest while getting punched in the body and head

There is no teacher but the enemy.

Respectfully,

Sohan

With respect,

Sohan

There is a big difference in trying to submit someone that doesnt realize what your doing (which is what Royce was really good at in the beginning) and trying to submit and rest while getting punched in the body and head

Oh, I'm sure he's prepared to be smacked around a bit.

But Royce is still quite capable of defending himself on the ground. One shouldn't forget he still has an 11 lb weight advantage as well as a height advantage on Hughes (if they are fighting at their regular weights), as well as the fact that he's successfully gone against strong heavy hitters in the past. Trust me, Royce can take a punch, and he's gained 10 years of BJJ experience since his heyday. It's not as if Royce has been parked on a couch eating HoHo's since 1995.

Besides, I seem to remember stating I thought Hughes would win. Youth, power, and being at the peak of his fitness should gain him victory....

...maybe... :)

With respect,

Sohan

"If I cannot become one of extraordinary accomplishment, I will not walk the earth." Zen Master Nakahara Nantenbo

"A man who has attained mastery of an art reveals it in his every action." Samuarai maxim

"Knowing others is wisdom; knowing yourself is Enlightenment." Lao-Tzu

Respectfully,

Sohan

With respect,

Sohan

John McCarthy is one of the worst refs that the UFC has. He always stops fights prematurely and stands fighters up way too often and way too quick. Mario Yamasaki should be the ref for this match.

Respectfully,

Sohan

With respect,

Sohan

John McCarthy is one of the worst refs that the UFC has. He always stops fights prematurely and stands fighters up way too often and way too quick. Mario Yamasaki should be the ref for this match.

McCarthy rocks, have you ever spoke with someone who fought under him? They really respect him.

If it works, use it!

If not, throw it out!

That doesnt mean that what I said isnt true- hes needs to remember that this isnt some bar fight that you break up when someone gets rocked a few times, they're professional fighters- the first flurry of punches that someone gets off he stops the fight and calls the match- its ridiculous

safety of fighters should be paramount, and he has way more experience in that area than you (I'm guessing) or me, so I'll trust him.

If it works, use it!

If not, throw it out!

There are some guys that are quite resilient to being ko'ed, John doesnt give them any time to recover and influences other refs who follow his bad example.

Long term safety of the fighters is one thing, but I'd rather have a clear cut winner (i.e. one fighter is KO'ed or cant defend himself) than seeing him break up a fight just because someone decides to go on a flurry.

Contrary to belief, getting ko'ed is not as dangerous and bad as it sounds- you win by ko or tapout- thats up to the fighters to determine, NOT the referee. Its a contact sport, expect people to get beat up a lot.

Respectfully,

Sohan

With respect,

Sohan

Oh, I'm sure he's prepared to be smacked around a bit.

But Royce is still quite capable of defending himself on the ground. One shouldn't forget he still has an 11 lb weight advantage as well as a height advantage on Hughes (if they are fighting at their regular weights), as well as the fact that he's successfully gone against strong heavy hitters in the past. Trust me, Royce can take a punch, and he's gained 10 years of BJJ experience since his heyday. It's not as if Royce has been parked on a couch eating HoHo's since 1995.

Besides, I seem to remember stating I thought Hughes would win. Youth, power, and being at the peak of his fitness should gain him victory....

...maybe... :)

With respect,

Sohan

Well, Royce was TEACHING Bjj for many years before the first UFC so of course he has only got better. I honestly think Gracie could take this fight, Matt has already shown more than once he gets easily caught in submissions before. But seeing as Matt is definatly on a roll right now and nobody can match his power right now it could, in my eyes, go either way

There is no teacher but the enemy.