• 2 months later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One thing i noticed about some of Matt Hughes interviews is that before the fight he talks himself up and may come across has "arrogant" or having a big ego. But after the fight(win or lose) he almost always mentions about his respect for his opponent and comes across in a more humble way.

Maybe talking himself up is just a tactic either to put his opponent off, or mentally prepare himself for the fight.

do u think that Matt hughes is goin to be able to beet gracia who's family Made one of the Jujutsu styles his( hughes) style has incorporated into it, own may 27( i think thats the date)

i am a big Matt hughes fan aswell as a Chuck liddle ( Iceman), forest griphan, Luke cumo( even though he lost and did not make it)) and sorta of a Tito Ortiz, and ken shamrock ( except he is evil to his fans)

but i dont think hughes can beat the man whos family made Brazzilian jujutsu.

do u think that Matt hughes is goin to be able to beet gracia who's family Made one of the Jujutsu styles his( hughes) style has incorporated into it, own may 27( i think thats the date)

i am a big Matt hughes fan aswell as a Chuck liddle ( Iceman), forest griphan, Luke cumo( even though he lost and did not make it)) and sorta of a Tito Ortiz, and ken shamrock ( except he is evil to his fans)

Sure he can- the irony is that even though Royce carries the name "Gracie" hes far from being one of the top grapplers in his weight class.

Hughes is a much better fighter than is Royce, theres no way to deny that. His standup is better than Royce's, his takedowns are absolutely phenomenal compared to Royce's, and hes also a stronger, faster, more seasoned athlete.

However, the old adage in Mixed martial arts is that styles make fights, and in this instance about the only thing that Royce can hold over Hughes' head is his submission abilities. Matt primarily fights a ground and pound game which falls directly into Royce's game. If this is how Hughes fights, than this will be a very good matchup. On the other hand Hughes can take advantage of Royce's one dimensional game and keep it on the feet where his striking will prove to be much better. This wouldnt be a difficult gameplan to employ- the day that Royce Gracie can takedown Matt Hughes is the day hell freezes over.

I think this fight is really going to come down to how Hughes decides to fight it, and I think hes going to try to ground and pound Royce, which will give all of us the show that we're all anticipating.

Sure he can- the irony is that even though Royce carries the name "Gracie" hes far from being one of the top grapplers in his weight class.

Hughes is a much better fighter than is Royce, theres no way to deny that. His standup is better than Royce's, his takedowns are absolutely phenomenal compared to Royce's, and hes also a stronger, faster, more seasoned athlete.

However, the old adage in Mixed martial arts is that styles make fights, and in this instance about the only thing that Royce can hold over Hughes' head is his submission abilities. Matt primarily fights a ground and pound game which falls directly into Royce's game. If this is how Hughes fights, than this will be a very good matchup. On the other hand Hughes can take advantage of Royce's one dimensional game and keep it on the feet where his striking will prove to be much better. This wouldnt be a difficult gameplan to employ- the day that Royce Gracie can takedown Matt Hughes is the day hell freezes over.

I think this fight is really going to come down to how Hughes decides to fight it, and I think hes going to try to ground and pound Royce, which will give all of us the show that we're all anticipating.

but forgot the fact that Royce, may have been out of the game for a while but has given him more time to practice and hone his skills so that he can beet Matt, and he probably has watched enough UFC battles since his days to MAtts time to no what moves Matt does and likes to use, and how to beet matt by studying his techniques,and knowing what moves he likes to throw, and what are his weakness and things he aint good at, and how to exploit them. but like u said this should be a good match.

PEACE

but forgot the fact that Royce, may have been out of the game for a while but has given him more time to practice and hone his skills so that he can beet Matt, and he probably has watched enough UFC battles since his days to MAtts time to no what moves Matt does and likes to use, and how to beet matt by studying his techniques,and knowing what moves he likes to throw, and what are his weakness and things he aint good at, and how to exploit them. but like u said this should be a good match.

PEACE

Just because Royce has had the time to train in the past 15 years or so doesnt neccessarily mean hes gotten better. I would hope and imagine that his jiu jitsu has improved, but his age would be a good factor to even the progress out. Royce may not be old, but hes certainly not young anymore.

Beyond that, Hughes has fought in close to 40 MMA fights. Anyone who's fought Hughes, in the distant past or near present, has watched videos on his fights- they're certainly not difficult to get a hold of. Watching someone and pointing out their shortcomings and then getting in the ring and exploiting them are two completely different things. Also dont forget that at the same time Royce is trying to analyze Matt's matches, Matt and his team are analyzing Royce's matches.

I personally feel that Matt cant pound Royce unconcious on the ground- his jiu jitsu may not be that good, but his defense is great, and thats exactly how Royce plays- as a defensive fighter.

This I think is going to be the deciding factor- Royce isnt very aggressive, so I plan on seeing him just defend and waiting for Matt to take the initiative. If Hughes makes a mistake that Royce can capitalize on, thats his window of opportunity. If Hughes plays a tight game, Royce will only have 15 minutes to secure his victory which may not be enough for him.

Anything can happen in MMA, especially against a skilled BJJ guy. People tend to forget the amazing fights Royce has had against seemingly indestructible opponents. Also, he can rest quite a bit on the ground, which evens out some of his conditioning disadvantage.

That said, he is 39, and top fighters like Hughes have made dramatic leaps in technique and conditioning. Unless he makes a mistake (entirely possible) I see Hughes winning by decision. Hope I'm wrong, though. Should be a fun bout to watch.

Respectfully,

Sohan

"If I cannot become one of extraordinary accomplishment, I will not walk the earth." Zen Master Nakahara Nantenbo

"A man who has attained mastery of an art reveals it in his every action." Samuarai maxim

"Knowing others is wisdom; knowing yourself is Enlightenment." Lao-Tzu

Anything can happen in MMA, especially against a skilled BJJ guy. People tend to forget the amazing fights Royce has had against seemingly indestructible opponents. Also, he can rest quite a bit on the ground, which evens out some of his conditioning disadvantage.

That said, he is 39, and top fighters like Hughes have made dramatic leaps in technique and conditioning. Unless he makes a mistake (entirely possible) I see Hughes winning by decision. Hope I'm wrong, though. Should be a fun bout to watch.

Respectfully,

Sohan

This unfortunately is not the case anymore in the UFC. I doubt Royce will have time to rest and wait on the ground. As if they didnt already stand fighters up fast enough, the very defensive style of Royce will only encourage the ref to stand them up as the uneducated spectators boo the ground game.

• 3 weeks later...

Militich systems is a very respected MMA team if I had the chance to train with them i definatly would

There is no teacher but the enemy.