• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Considering Bagua. Any Suggestions?

Hey Gang,

I have been studying Yang Style Tai Chi for 18 months now and next May my contract will be up on the school i am currently at. I am hoping to continue my study of Tai Chi and am considering also adding Baguazang to the list of arts I would know. What is your opinion of Bagua? What do you like or not like? Please make your comments helpful. This is not intended to be a debate about this art vs that art. Thank you for your time and help.

"The journey of a 1,000 miles starts with but a single step."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Oh!

Hey Buddy!!

Sometime I would really like to come out and visit the family out there. I have always gotten good vibes from you guys. Maybe next time Luo Laoshi comes through the states I can pull it off.

Take care!

Chris

Please excuse my ignorance, but what do mean by "your contract is up"?

Secondly , the Bagua should be a nice balance to the Tai Chi, as it is also classed as being an "internal" style, or "soft" style along with Tai Chi.

Havent had much experience of Bagua myself, did two mornings in Kowloon park, Hong Kong a few years ago, but my heart was more in my Tai Chi, but what i saw impressed me tremendously. A lot more circular than Tai Chi, but very effective close up and personal.

Without long practice one cannot suddenly understand Tai Chi : - Tai Chi Classics

I signed a 36 month contract with the martial arts school that I am attending in Dallas. I am here currently studying for my Master's degree. I will graduate next May and move on to a Doctoral program that is not in Dallas. My contract is up next August, but I will finish formal instruction at the school I am at in May of '07.

"The journey of a 1,000 miles starts with but a single step."

• 2 weeks later...

I have found that many people suggest to take Hsing-I (Xing Yi Quan, Hsing Yi Chuan), as a complement to Bagua.

They are supposed to act as ying and yang to eachother, but I see them as more a complimentary system then opposites. But coming from TaiChi you should pick up Bagua more easily, since of the 3 internals, Tai Chi and Bagua seem closer related, at least in basic movement. (not trying to start a philosophical debate)

Trained in,

Korean Hwa Rang Do

Boxing

Started into Aikido and am teaching myself Xing Yi Quan. The plan is to form a new style out of the 2 encompassing perfected striking and effortless defense.

Chinese arts take a bit longer to build upon those internal skills.

So be wise in your decisions and good luck!

:)

Current:Head Instructor - ShoNaibuDo - TCM/Taijiquan/Chinese Boxing Instructor

Past:TKD ~ 1st Dan, Goju Ryu ~ Trained up 2nd Dan - Brown belt 1 stripe, Kickboxing (Muay Thai) & Jujutsu Instructor

Be at peace, and share peace with others...