• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Dicipline

Grimslade

Should martial artists have the dicipline not to drink smoke etc...  

23 members have voted

1. 1. Should martial artists have the dicipline not to drink smoke etc...

• Yes, they should
    • No, that is irrelevent
    • I choose to walk the middle ground

I personally think that a martial artists should from training gain the dicipline and over all common sense not to do things such as drink, smoke ect... I myself usually (though I know im not to judge a book by its cover) get a generally bad outlook on people who I know drink or smoke. Because I simply take into factor that most people who smoke and drink are idiots.

I understand that you look down on smoking and drinking because you were personally affected by abuse of these substances. Does the issue go beyond lack of discipline in other areas, eg. junk-food, cash management, time-management, temper, etc.? What's the beef, really? Smokers and drinkers, or lack of discipline in general?

None of my dojomates smoke. This is amazing because lighting-up is not as demonized in Japan as it is in the US and perhaps elsewhere. Maybe, it's because the link between smoking and bad health are more direct. I condemn smoking because it's bad for the smoker and the nearby non-smoker. Alcoholism is a bad thing, however not all drinking is related to alcoholism.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Smoking? No. No way, no how. It sets a bad example for students and is unhealthy.

Drinking? To excess, echo the smoking statement. Occasional social drink or something like wine with dinner, no prob. There are also health benefits associated with moderate amounts of some alcohols (Most notable red wines).

ANYthing done to excess is bad for you. Most things in moderation are all right.

Aodhan

There are some people who live in a dream world, and there are some who face reality; and then there are those who turn one into the other.

-Douglas Everett, American hockey player

It is hard to tell someone what they should or shouldn't do. I don't drink or smoke, not because I am a Martial Artist, but because I don't like it. But, as an adult and a MA BB, I would like to think that I set the example for younger students. I would hate to be a BB hanging out somewhere with a beer in one hand and a cigarette in the other and have a young student see me and think, well if my sensei is doing it, then it can't be that bad. To each his own. However, you cant demand that everyone in your school has to quit their unhealthy habit. I mean, if someone told me I could no longer eat the McDonald's breakfast bagel sandwhich, I think I might just be bummed out :lol:

A great martial artist is one who is humble and respectful of others.

People in general should have the discipline not to smoke, and martial artists especially.

Alcohol is a little different.

My Nidan Grading! Check it Out: http://www.karateforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=27140

OSU!

"Behind each triumph are new peaks to be conquered." - Mas Oyama

Dojo Kun:http://www.diegobeltran.com/htms/dojo/dojokun.htm

https://www.kyokushinkarate.cjb.net

Personnally I detest smoking, but have the odd drink or two with my friends (even though I'm 17 and still underage :wink: ).

It depends on your self-discipline, too much of either will seriously affect your health and general fitness

"...to stand between the candle and the shining moon..."

Sometimes I have to train with this guy who smokes and his uniform smells like...you know what. I hate ciggarette smoke. I hate the notion of smoking. I don't tend to get along real well with smokers.

How can I tactfully FORCE IT DOWN HIS THROAT THAT HE NEEDS TO QUIT SMOKING?!!!

Sry, let me try again:

How can I convinve him that he really needs to stop smoking?

If it works, use it!

If not, throw it out!

Sometimes I have to train with this guy who smokes and his uniform smells like...you know what. I hate ciggarette smoke. I hate the notion of smoking. I don't tend to get along real well with smokers.

How can I tactfully FORCE IT DOWN HIS THROAT THAT HE NEEDS TO QUIT SMOKING?!!!

Sry, let me try again:

How can I convinve him that he really needs to stop smoking?

Tell him about how high his chances of dying are...

"I am your judge, Executioner, jury, Executioner, lawyer, prosecutor, and if necessary... your Executioner"

Hhhhmmm well if you taking the martials arts, then one of your reason maybe because that you want to be in shape. Then why would you go out and waste you good health by smoking or drinking excessively.

"Martial Arts is kinda like yin and yang when you think about it; it 50% physical and 50% mental"