• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Dicipline

Grimslade

Should martial artists have the dicipline not to drink smoke etc...  

23 members have voted

1. 1. Should martial artists have the dicipline not to drink smoke etc...

• Yes, they should
    • No, that is irrelevent
    • I choose to walk the middle ground

I personally think that a martial artists should from training gain the dicipline and over all common sense not to do things such as drink, smoke ect... I myself usually (though I know im not to judge a book by its cover) get a generally bad outlook on people who I know drink or smoke. Because I simply take into factor that most people who smoke and drink are idiots. Of course there are exceptions, but too many people in my family have died because of these things for me to see any logical reaso to use them. I just dont understand it. So I want to know whether or not you think a martial artists should have the dicipline and intellegence required not to do these things.

"I am your judge, Executioner, jury, Executioner, lawyer, prosecutor, and if necessary... your Executioner"

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Surely what you learn in martial arts has nothing to do with whether you smoke or drink. Martial arts should be open to everyone. I know plenty of excellent Karate Ka who smoke and/or drink, including a couple of my senseis who are the best senseis I've ever been taught by (I've trained at 4 different scholls).

Its all about moderation. There is no harm in having a drink or two with friends. Its when it is done to excess that it becomes a problem. Its self-discipline not self-denial.

I would also have to agree with this :idea: I don't see too much harm in having a drink with friends every now and then (note - now and then is very infrequently, IMO :P).

However, I am on the opposite end of the spectrum on smoking - I am definitely a non-smoker, and have trouble associating with people who do (I have trouble breathing around smoke - so it's pretty tough to carry on any kind of conversation).

Now - should a martial artist have the discipline and intelligence not to do these things? I guess, in my eyes, a martial artist is little different in general mindset from any other person you'd meet on the street - some are very level headed, and some will make foolish choices and decisions - so, martial artist or not, they may still make bad decisions - as anyone is capable of.

edit: By the way, I'll move this over to Health, Training, and Fitness since its a largely health related topic. :)

"Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go."

- T. S. Eliot

I find smoking would be contradicting to training in the first place. I wont get into uselessly typing away with a long answer as the result would be obvious. However my opinion may not be 100% valid because I've never had problems smoking, i heard its difficult to stop and many other aspects to keeping the habit. But from what I know...

"Time is what we want most, but what we use worst"

William Penn

I don't think it's a good idea for MA's to smoke, drink excessively, do drugs, etc.. However, I feel that it is just my opinion and I am nobody to say that it should be some kind of universal standard or something. I think, even though, when I walk into a Dojo and I see it's members hanging around outside smoking, that it doesn't look good, I have to be careful not to be too judgemental towards other people. What's next? Ma's Shouldn't cuss, shouldn't read playboy, Shouldn't Date the wrong people, Shouldn't eat pizza or other junk food? To some people, that's shows lack of self discipline as well. There is always something that each and every one of us does that could be looked down upon, so we shouldn't, as martial artists, be too quick to judge others so much as we need to pay attention to our own behaviors.

Just my 0.02

"You know the best thing about pain? It let's you know you're not dead yet!"

http://geshmacheyid.forumotion.com/f14-self-defense

I used to smoke both cigarettes and marijuana up until about 6 months ago...Luckily I found meditation, martial arts, and the spiritual aspect of life. Yes, life should be lived in moderation just as the buddha says, but, smoking and drinking are wrong and should not be done.

Seek not and you will find. -Lao Tsu

I'm ok with the occasional social drink or two, but I really just don't understand why people smoke. I mean, drinking serves a logical purpose. You can be thirsty, although drinking dehydrates you. But what purpose does smoking serve. It's not the cigarette that calms you down or relaxes you, it's the deep breathing you're doing while you're inhaling all those poisons. I won't even get started on the second hand smoke problems. Why not just do the deep breathing. Sorry if I sound kind of harsh and I'm not trying to personally attack smokers but I almost lost my father TWICE from heart attacks related to his smoking. OK... enough of my ranting about it. From a martial standpoint, smoking will decrease your lung capacity. Think of it this way. A smoker and a non smoker of equal skill, weight, and size square off. Who do you think's going to win if the fight lasts for more than a few minutes. Also, think of your classmates. Most non smokers don't like the smell of cigaretts, and that smell permiates everything that a smoker owns. I speak from experience on this one, try grappeling with a smoker on the mat. It's not to pleasant.

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

I think that a person can and should do what they want. I just think that MAists should have the intellegence not to TAKE IT TOO FAR. I agree with just about everything stated before this. Good Points.

"I am your judge, Executioner, jury, Executioner, lawyer, prosecutor, and if necessary... your Executioner"