• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Shotokan karate

foofies

Hello every1.

I'm thinking to strart practicing Shotokan Karate. I have a few Q that google didnt answer them for me. So please if any1 knows the answers please post back.

1. Whats the difference between Shotokan Karate and other Karate styles?

2. My main art now is Taekwondo. just woundring does Shotokan Karate and Taekwondo have similarities?

3. Does SK have any grappling strikes??

Thanks.

HaKUnA MaTaTA

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. In my experience, Shotokan is VERY linear in technique. Very powerful. Also gets a bad rap for being a sport-martial art.

2. Yes. You'll be grounded alot more... as in, hardly, if ever, going to the air. I'm not sure about the katas you'll learn. There's a tang soo do school in town that my Sensei taught one of the blackbelts all his kata. (My Sensei is also a sandan in shotokan.) I'm not sure how much it bleeds over. Waayy fewer kicks.

3.I don't think grappling is taught in most schools. I'm sure most of the katas have grappling techniques in the bunkai, though.

Shotokan is also very focused on deep stances, so it develops and gives a good basis for strength and versatilty, also if you want to take another martial art. Over all shotokan is full of alot of sport dojos, however its not very hard to tell the differenace between more sport oriented and secluded dojos out there(not saying either is better). If you want to take shotokan, solid and surprising strength will develop along with good distance and somewhat close-quater combat. If your looking to start martial arts, shotokan would be a very good choice, with a good instructor you'll develop valuble martial art skills.

Good luck with your training.

Edited by Menjo

"Time is what we want most, but what we use worst"

William Penn

Hello every1.

I'm thinking to strart practicing Shotokan Karate. I have a few Q that google didnt answer them for me. So please if any1 knows the answers please post back.

2. My main art now is Taekwondo. just woundring does Shotokan Karate and Taekwondo have similarities?

Thanks.

As far as differences, I like to think there are more similarities than differences in styles. Especially those coming from the same roots, Shotokan is mainly from Shuri lineage (Itosu). There are similarities to some TKD and Tang Soo Do because those systems are basically Korean versions/interpretations of Shotokan. Old TKD looks almost exact, TSD still does.

In Shotokan the difference is you will learn "why" you do everything you do and you will practice it until it's coming out of your ears until you perfect it. Less techniques and more time spent on each to hone them to perfection is their way. Fast, clean powerful weapons. Fighting style is mid to long range and very ballistic meaning time your opponent find or create an opening and then send in the big bomb before he has a chance to react. Fast covering of distance.

Mid to long range suggests no grappling. Doubtful you will learn grappling unless the instructor is into it. Bunkai (analysis of kata) has been all the rage these days and grappling found in kata is more and more being explored so some Shotokan schools are getting into it. Typically this is not their way though. Kata is big and practiced endlessly.

Competition is promoted and kata and kumite (sparring) are worked to be flawless.

I'm from a more old school Shotokan and don't compete or train that way. We don't wear safety gear and sparring is full contact. There are still some schools like that out there but they're fading fast. Some schools practice both hard contact and point.

It's a whole lot stronger than TKD and the punches are trained to count.

Tommy

Hello every1.

Thanks.

As far as differences, I like to think there are more similarities than differences in styles. Especially those coming from the same roots, Shotokan is mainly from Shuri lineage (Itosu). There are similarities to some TKD and Tang Soo Do because those systems are basically Korean versions/interpretations of Shotokan. Old TKD looks almost exact, TSD still does.

In Shotokan the difference is you will learn "why" you do everything you do and you will practice it until it's coming out of your ears until you perfect it. Less techniques and more time spent on each to hone them to perfection is their way. Fast, clean powerful weapons. Fighting style is mid to long range and very ballistic meaning time your opponent find or create an opening and then send in the big bomb before he has a chance to react. Fast covering of distance.

Mid to long range suggests no grappling. Doubtful you will learn grappling unless the instructor is into it. Bunkai (analysis of kata) has been all the rage these days and grappling found in kata is more and more being explored so some Shotokan schools are getting into it. Typically this is not their way though. Kata is big and practiced endlessly.

Competition is promoted and kata and kumite (sparring) are worked to be flawless.

I'm from a more old school Shotokan and don't compete or train that way. We don't wear safety gear and sparring is full contact. There are still some schools like that out there but they're fading fast. Some schools practice both hard contact and point.

It's a whole lot stronger than TKD and the punches are trained to count.

Tommy

Really well put, i think we can say almost all of the old dojos regardless of the MA are losing the more traditional style dojos fast.

"Time is what we want most, but what we use worst"

William Penn

I think you should definetly do shotokan, its a great style

Then why do people bash it??

I'm from a more old school Shotokan and don't compete or train that way. We don't wear safety gear and sparring is full contact.

the dojo near my area is more from old school too. They don't wear safety gear and sparing is full contact. But I'm not sure if the compete or not. And also not sure if the instruction there is good or not. Because there Sensi is 3rd dan black belt. I'm not sure if a 3rd dan have the skills to teach? My current TKD teacher is 7th dan and his assistant is 5th dan so :roll:

HaKUnA MaTaTA

I think you should definetly do shotokan, its a great style

Then why do people bash it??

I'm from a more old school Shotokan and don't compete or train that way. We don't wear safety gear and sparring is full contact.

the dojo near my area is more from old school too. They don't wear safety gear and sparing is full contact. But I'm not sure if the compete or not. And also not sure if the instruction there is good or not. Because there Sensi is 3rd dan black belt. I'm not sure if a 3rd dan have the skills to teach? My current TKD teacher is 7th dan and his assistant is 5th dan so :roll:

Rank, rank, rank :) Don't believe the hype. It's not quantity it's quality that counts :wink:

Shotokan gets bashed because lately they have become very tournament oriented. That and the fact that MMA is all the rage these days, it makes it easy to compare real fighting against point sparring tag. I agree but it's up to the individual to train his art how he sees fit. You don't have to do the point thing if you don't want to, I didn't.

Try it, you may like it, it's a good style if taught well. Go in and see how it's taught and if you like it don't worry about rank, it's meaningless.

Tommy