• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

thinking about quiting

nitrosam

Hello, I'm new here because I want to ask you a question. When I was little I played many years of basket and then they said I wasn't flexible. A year of 4 ago I started powertraining and now I've practised a year karate but I'm thinking of quiting because my kicks don't improve. I've tried several things like an exercise where you put your back on the ground and your legs up against the wall open for 15 minutes. That's an exercise my sensei teached me but they don't have much time for a 22 years old boy who starts karate. Their attention goes to the higher level karate and the really young boys because they have future in the sport.

Now my question for you is what can I do to improve my kicks or am I just not made for karate? I don't want to change club because an other club is far from my home. Maybe my kicking technique still isn't good because when I do mawashi my limbs also hurt, everything feels like it works against me :evil:

Thanks

Sorry for my english

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have you considered taking a private lesson or two on kicking? In group classes, you often won't get as much attention as you need, particularly in commerical dojos. Taking a private lesson is a good way for you to get the specific instruction you need, and to be frank, if your sensei is any good at all, private lessons are a treat. If you can't afford private lessons, you should still have a talk with your sensei. If you're struggling as you obviously are, an attentive sensei would notice and offer you a few more pointers to help you.

As a general tip on mawashi-geri, be sure that your supporting foot rotates so that the heel is pointed at your target. Beginners frequently don't rotate their supporting foot, and this puts more pressure on their joints.

karate is not about high kicks or any particular technique we need to adopt the techniques(even the kata) to our body condition, i have right knee problem so i just avoid cheap kicks with right or landing on my right ,you do the same thing make your hand techniques stronger and fight based on your abilities.

I agree with P.A.L. Karate is usually (in some styles) about low kicking. I do a kicking art (TKD), and most of us can kick high. But My kicks have gotten lower because of injuries and such (specially my left leg ... bad hip). But it doesn't stop me. I could never get my side kick up there anyways. So, I concentrate on proper technique rather than height now.

Try working on proper technique for now. Even if you don't get your kicks higher, it really doesn't matter as long as you can do them, do them properly, and effectively.

Laurie F

Yeah, high kicking is definitely not a focus of karate! It's fun, but not really important to self defence.

The best thing about high kicks is if you can do them, then you have good balance and flexibility. Flexibility is important to prevent injuries.

However, some people just aren't flexible. That's how it is, and there isn't anything wrong with not being able to do high kicks. If there's a lot of pressure in your clubs to be able to do those techniques, maybe you should try a different club/style?

It could be that karate isn't right for you (edit: not because of the kick thing, but only if you genuinely don't enjoy it), but I think you should try another club first. Also, talk to your sensei. Maybe he doesn't realise that you're trying hard to improve your flexibility and it's not working.

Best of luck! :)

Kata is like a good stir-fry: preparation and timing are everything.

A year's worth of training karate will help your conditioning, but it's not going to absoultely change your entire physique as well...it took me a good two - three years before I experienced a noticable difference in my flexability, especially through my groin, hips, hamstrings, and other major leg/lower body muscle groups.

I also echo Nurvingiel's comments, well said :D

Think before you act, but act before it's too late.

http://img97.imageshack.us/img97/3535/siggydemo58lq.jpg

(Images aren't allowed, but if you want, take a peek for yourself ^ )

Yeah, high kicking is definitely not a focus of karate! It's fun, but not really important to self defence.

The best thing about high kicks is if you can do them, then you have good balance and flexibility. Flexibility is important to prevent injuries.

However, some people just aren't flexible. That's how it is, and there isn't anything wrong with not being able to do high kicks. If there's a lot of pressure in your clubs to be able to do those techniques, maybe you should try a different club/style?

It could be that karate isn't right for you (edit: not because of the kick thing, but only if you genuinely don't enjoy it), but I think you should try another club first. Also, talk to your sensei. Maybe he doesn't realise that you're trying hard to improve your flexibility and it's not working.

Best of luck! :)

I agree on this one, I'm not able to kick head-high, and also my mid-section kicks are not perfect but I can still have fun at kumite which I think is all that matter (I'm not doing karate for sport or self-defence but mostly for fun and fitness).

I agree with everything else already written here, but especially the above. Talk to your instructor and fellow students about your goals and feelings. But most of all, don't quit because you can't do something well. If you enjoy it, stay and make the most of it. We are not all naturals and most often it seems like some of the best people in karate are not at all natural athletes at all. Keep trying and keep enjoying it. Do a private lesson and talk it out with others. But don't quit just because you lack flexibility.

1 year isn't a long time. I struggled a lot with my kicks for my first 18 months. Now (I've been training for a little over two years) there is a noticeable improvement in my balance and flexibility and they're getting better, but I still can't mawashigeri to my head height. Keep at it, and like the others said try to work on good technique. Flexibility will improve with time.

"They can because they think they can." - School Motto.

(Shodan 11th Oct 08)

Remember high kicking is just for show, but if u have flexibilty problems be careful you could injure yourself. Just take it simply and easy, and never push yourself while stretching.

"The mind is a powerful weapon"