• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I practice traditional Japanese JJ concepts along with MT, Naha Te, and Taijiquan. From time to time, I may put in some roman-greco wrestling, and some western boxing...Not BJJ though...

:)

Current:Head Instructor - ShoNaibuDo - TCM/Taijiquan/Chinese Boxing Instructor

Past:TKD ~ 1st Dan, Goju Ryu ~ Trained up 2nd Dan - Brown belt 1 stripe, Kickboxing (Muay Thai) & Jujutsu Instructor

Be at peace, and share peace with others...

• 1 month later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I hope this doesn't constitue a thread hijack (and please ignore this post if it seems off topic), but I thought this might be related...

You see, I'm new to martial arts and am deciding between TKD and BJJ, though they are both... basically opposites. I tried a BJJ class yesterday though I hadn't planned on even considering a grappling sport and I really enjoyed it. However, I kind of also want to take a standing/striking martial art... however, currently, its only one thing or the other.

So, for someone who is not in very good shape, which of the two would you start with? Does it even matter? I'm going away to college in 6 months from now if that could aid your advice giving. I know that eventually if I do TKD I will end up picking up BJJ, and visa versa... so does it really matter which I do first? I assume since both are popular, I will be able to find clubs near/in whatever college I end up going to... hm..

• 2 weeks later...

Shazkar,

If you are eventually going to train in both arts, I don't think it matters which one you start in. Based on your situation of having to go to college in 6 months. I'd make sure that whichever art you decide to start, you can find a school teaching that art in your new location. It would be a waste to start out in one art for 6 months and then have to switch to a different one. This might work if you were switching from TKD to Karate, or BJJ to Judo, but to switch from a striking art to a grappling art after just six months will all but nullify that 6 months of training. You really can't pick up enough experience in 6 months to be able to retain any skill if you don't keep up your training in the same art. I'd research what types of schools are in the area you're moving to, and make your decision based on that. If you can find schools for both styles, I'd personally start in TKD. It takes less time to progress up the ranks, and focuses on simpler strategies and concepts, and it gives you a very well rounded workout. While BJJ is certainly a great workout, you won't get nearly as much cardio and aerobic exercise, and, IMHO, if you are starting out not in very good shape, TKD training will give you a good foundation of fitness to build on (and in BJJ you will definitely have a chance to do some serious building.)

Tae Kwon Do - 3rd Dan, Instructor

Brazilian Ju Jitsu - Purple Belt, Level 1 Instructor

I hope this doesn't constitue a thread hijack (and please ignore this post if it seems off topic), but I thought this might be related...

You see, I'm new to martial arts and am deciding between TKD and BJJ, though they are both... basically opposites. I tried a BJJ class yesterday though I hadn't planned on even considering a grappling sport and I really enjoyed it. However, I kind of also want to take a standing/striking martial art... however, currently, its only one thing or the other.

So, for someone who is not in very good shape, which of the two would you start with? Does it even matter? I'm going away to college in 6 months from now if that could aid your advice giving. I know that eventually if I do TKD I will end up picking up BJJ, and visa versa... so does it really matter which I do first? I assume since both are popular, I will be able to find clubs near/in whatever college I end up going to... hm..

A good BJJ school will KICK YOUR KEISTER into shape. You will become a machine. TKD is a good workout as well, but BJJ is a better core workout so you will see changes faster.

Good luck.

I did a striking art for 4 years before beginning any real grappling training. I caught on a little more quickly than most people because of my awareness of balance and and movement, but it still took a while to get the hang of it.

You suck-train harder.......................Don't block with your face

A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.

-Lao Tzu

If you are only going to study for 6 months before leaving for school, I would recommend BJJ. For most people, six months is just enough to learn enough TKD to be at the "not terribly awkward" stage of effectiveness. And while I firmly believe in getting a good base in one art before learning another, if you had to train in two arts at once, bjj & TKD make a good combo because they are so radically different you won't get confused between the two in the middle of a movement.

ichi-go ichi-e

一期一会

one encounter, one chance