• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Is Slow-Paced Cardio a good way to burn fat?

DaChroniclez

I have been gaining some pounds lately and feel like i may be reaching the "overweight" point, or at least the layer of fat covering me is a little too big for my liking. So I decided to start some cardio/diet/working out. Now let me get to the point, which is that i was reading an article on bodybuilding.com that said Slow-Paced Cardio (~3.5mph for 45-60min) is better for burning fat without losing muscle than fast-paced cardio is. Now could anyone here enlighten me on this subject? My goal is to burn my fat away and get a "toned" look as quick as possible. Which would be the optimal choice, slow-paced or fast-paced?

btw, heres the article:

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/wotw12.htm

(go down to cardio)

heres another article that was linked in the pervious one:

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/bobchic3.htm

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I don't have any science or sources to back this up, going by my gut you understand, but I think it depends on your condition. If you're really out of shape, a Dr. might advise slow so that you don't have a heart attack or something. This is where a heart rate monitor might come in handy. Otherwise, if you're not sweating profusely and are able to sustain a conversation while exercising, you're doing it too slow/easy and won't see much benefit.

Besides figuring out how to run, also consider what and how much you've been eating. A few pounds over the holidays is normal. Soon you'll be back to your regular diet and hopefully you're regular physique.

I'm kinda lazy. I try and get the work out over with as quickly as possible, so it's super intense (intervals). After about 15 minutes I'm about to fall over and heave. I'm eating more since I started training this way (2 mos) but haven't noticed any exrta flab.

Here's an article to better explain how fat metabolism starts to slow once you get past the optimum heart rate for a fat burning workout. My understanding is that the when you are at a moderate pace you burn more fat and as you increase you start burning more carbs. Read on.

http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,5033,s6-53-85-0-628,00.html

By the way, the 3.5 mph hour that your author recommends is for a treadmill with a significant incline. Walking/running without that incline you would need to increase the speed.

I had to lose my mind to come to my senses.

It's entirely dependent on you and what kind of shape you are in.

Most cardio exercise can be determined by two things, heart rate and breathing.

To find your range, take 220 - your age. So for me (39) my theoretical max heart rate is 181. Cardio training range is generally 65% to 80% of your max. So for me, 118 to 145 beats per minute is a good cardio training range. When you first start training, you may hit 120 bpm just by walking, but after a while of training, it make take a light jog to get there.

The other way to determine it is a little less scientific. If you can't carry on a conversation because you are panting too hard, then you are working too hard for a good cardio workout.

Aodhan

There are some people who live in a dream world, and there are some who face reality; and then there are those who turn one into the other.

-Douglas Everett, American hockey player

That's actually quite a good measure, but the way I was given it is...

If you can talk fluently, you are not working hard enough

If you have large breaks between your words, you are working too hard.

The mind is like a parachute, it only works when it's open.

The conversation bit is a good measure given that you have a decent level of fitness. If not, you will have to work towards that goal. Run/walk is a good strategy to get there.

I had to lose my mind to come to my senses.

One good way to start into a running program, especially if you have never run or are way out of shape is to alternate as suggested.

Walk 100 yards, run 100 yards. Repeat.

If you are on a track, run the straights and walk the curves. Build up the distance until you can run a mile continuous. Then walk/run two miles and keep going. Eventually you will be able to run 3-5 miles no problem.

Aodhan

There are some people who live in a dream world, and there are some who face reality; and then there are those who turn one into the other.

-Douglas Everett, American hockey player

• 3 weeks later...