• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Anyone a Fitness Major?

I'm thinking making a career in fitness, but problem is, I don't know where to start.

Like what Jobs are out there, or even more important, what kind of education is needed and where to get that kind of education.

I've always considered myself a very physical person, I love martial arts, running for track and field durring my highschool days, and playing sports for recreation. So I think I could do really well in the world of fitness.

Can anyone help me out here? Has anyone in these forums gone through the process, or anyone going through the process now?

Any information is helpful and appreciated.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Wow !! Fitness is a huge industry with hundreds of different jobs available . There is the whole teacher/coach profession , the medical side of it ( doctor , physical therapy , nutrition ) . The business side (retail , marketing , service ) . And many others . Try talking to someone in your guidance dept. at school .

We are not so much individual beings as individual points of perception within one immense being.

I'm thinking making a career in fitness, but problem is, I don't know where to start.

Like what Jobs are out there, or even more important, what kind of education is needed and where to get that kind of education.

I've always considered myself a very physical person, I love martial arts, running for track and field durring my highschool days, and playing sports for recreation. So I think I could do really well in the world of fitness.

Can anyone help me out here? Has anyone in these forums gone through the process, or anyone going through the process now?

Any information is helpful and appreciated.

The area you are talking about is kinesiology (Study of human movement), and has many different branches, as the other poster said. My original degree was in exercise kinesiology, and equipped me to be a trainer, either in a gym or for a sports team. With my minors, I am also qualified to be a nutritionist (Or was, it's been a while, lots has changed), and to work in an exercise testing lab, clinical rather than physical (Stress tests, etc).

You need to figure out if you want to be an athletic trainer (Guy that does taping/training/rehab) for athletes, clinical (Hospital/cardiac lab stuff), personal trainer, teacher/coach, nutritionist, etc. and see which major best suits your needs.

Aodhan

There are some people who live in a dream world, and there are some who face reality; and then there are those who turn one into the other.

-Douglas Everett, American hockey player

Aodhan, If i may I ask, What kind of educational path did you take for your career? Any specific colleges or institusions?

I'm feeling I would be best suited for Coaching or Athletic Training.

Aodhan, If i may I ask, What kind of educational path did you take for your career? Any specific colleges or institusions?

I'm feeling I would be best suited for Coaching or Athletic Training.

I went to the University of Northern Colorado in Greeley, Co. (About 60 miles north of Denver)

Just about any large university will have a kinesiology department, they may call it human performance as well. I don't know of any "name" schools that are better than others, although any NCAA Division I school will give you more opportunities as far as number of teams you can work with.

If you are really interested in athletic training (Guys that do rehab, tape injuries, work on the sidelines, etc), then check with your schools athletic department. They may have a student opening where you can get some experience with it while in high school, and see if you really like it or not.

Aodhan

There are some people who live in a dream world, and there are some who face reality; and then there are those who turn one into the other.

-Douglas Everett, American hockey player

• 2 months later...

Aodhan, how would someone go about offering karate classes in local schools and community colleges if their background does not contain a bachelors degree?

A great martial artist is one who is humble and respectful of others.