• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

10 class management skills.

Here are my rules (skills) when I teach or teach others to teach. Some of you ATA people know these skills, I thought I'd share with everyone else.

The ten class management skills:

1. Set mood and tone of class - you are in charge the students will fallow your lead.

2. Create positive climate - old school scream at the students does not work anymore. People shut down, people quit.

3. Personal approach/individual contact - make the student feel as if you are talking directly to him/her, even a controled pat on the back is motivation.

4. Set direct goals - In this class this is what we want to achieve

5. Give thoughtfull feedback to student responce - keyword "thoughtfull" (empathy)

6. Reinforce positive behavior - Positive reinforcement

7. Give realistic praise - Both kids and adults see thru false praise, but that's not enough. Praise must be specific for educational bennefits (ex. Your foot position is good!)

8. Give positive correction rather than criticism - (I think your chamber position is great, if you pivit your foot a bit more you will get more power.)

9. Refer to students by name - Very personal, shows interest in that person.

10. Teach concept of personal victory - "Who conquers the is great but who conquers oneself is mighty" and "Never mind what others do; do better than yourself. Beat your own record from day to day and you are a success.

Have someone fallow you around with a checklist and check off evey slikk once you practice it. In a 45-60 minute class you should have 5 checks in every skill.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
My teacher :karate: used to tell me that with every correction that I make on a student, I should follow it with a positive comment on something that I like about what they do.

That a great point! And if you start out with that positive comment, you will have the students attention for the positive correction as well.

Gee, where have I seen THAT list before? :D :D

If you would remember your quadrant sheet as well, Mr. Huntley, praise-correct-praise is in one of the quadrants, which would cover what else was mentioned here.

Aodhan (Who managed to hit all 10 multiple times in his 5 minute teaching evaluation)

There are some people who live in a dream world, and there are some who face reality; and then there are those who turn one into the other.

-Douglas Everett, American hockey player

I bet you had to practice that! I've fallen into the funk of being able to do the skills in class, but forget myself elsewhere, like here for example.

Carefull, you're bragging. Murphy doesn't like that, and he's the guy who writes the laws. lol

Research suggests that by sequuencing your feedback as positive and feedback, your feedback will be more impactful (at least in psychological research in therapy)...

At the children's gym I work at we do "I liked how you did this.... next time try this..."

John

My instructor doesn't apply the rule of positive comment after critisism to brown belts. Brown belt is the time where you get your butt kicked, everything you do gets criticized, and you wonder what in the world you've been doing for the last x number of years. It's intentional, to see how bad they want to get to the next level. In my experience it's worked. For all colored belts and children that's great though.

He who knows others is wise. He who knows himself is enlightened.

- Tao Te Ching

"Move as swift as a wind, stay as silent as forest, attack as fierce as fire, undefeatable defense like a mountain."

- Sun Tzu, the Art of War

My instructor doesn't apply the rule of positive comment after critisism to brown belts. Brown belt is the time where you get your butt kicked, everything you do gets criticized, and you wonder what in the world you've been doing for the last x number of years.

So true (I'm a brown belt)

My instructor doesn't apply the rule of positive comment after critisism to brown belts. Brown belt is the time where you get your butt kicked, everything you do gets criticized, and you wonder what in the world you've been doing for the last x number of years.

Heh. That's exactly the way I felt at the instructor camp when we spent two days tearing down our 9 color belt forms piece by piece. I was thinking "How in the world did I ever score at a tournament?"

Aodhan

There are some people who live in a dream world, and there are some who face reality; and then there are those who turn one into the other.

-Douglas Everett, American hockey player

• 3 weeks later...
My instructor doesn't apply the rule of positive comment after critisism to brown belts. Brown belt is the time where you get your butt kicked, everything you do gets criticized, and you wonder what in the world you've been doing for the last x number of years. It's intentional, to see how bad they want to get to the next level. In my experience it's worked. For all colored belts and children that's great though.

I respectfully disagree. Those brown belts who want it bad enough will exceed the requirements. Those who don't, won't; regardless of the positive reinforcement they receive.

Think Michael Jordan or Wayne Gretzky didn't get positive reinforcement at every level? Sure they did. They were ferocious competitors who wouldn't be denied the next level of accomplishment. But they're human; without positive reinforcement working in harmony with criticism, they wouldn't have been who they are today.

So Many Masters; So Few Students