• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Judging kata/forms

Hey all.

I am a forms geek. I ALWAYS compete in forms at tournies. Well, the last tourny was great. I placed second (for once) in my division (I always got third ... gggrrr LOL). There were 4 BBs and two red belts (myself included). Both of us red belts beat the BBs. I was the only one that was 30 years of age. The rest were younger than 18 (I don't know why they put me in that division *shrugs* LOL).

One judge said that, as far as she was concerned, I got 1st on technique alone, but the "theme" of the tourny was presentation, which I kinda lack in. This same person helped me with my form before hand. I drilled my form hard with her (she knows who I'm talking about ;) ).

I have judged forms (for kids in the same tourny and the one before it). I look for technique. I'm not big on presentation. Well, it does count if they look confident and all, but I'm a technique geek. I look for sharp and clean technique, and strong stances. I like a good kihap, but I hate the screaming, which is a turn-off to me, so I don't do it.

Anyways, for those that judged in forms, let me know what you look for (traditional forms).

Laurie F

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the ultimate componant of a winning form is technique as you said. I do think that presentation and confidance very very important as well however. Since it is a presure situation like self defense, I think how you present yourself correlates to how you would respond in a real situation.

5th Dan Tang Soo Do

Good point, DragonMike. I agree. I was in that tourny I mentioned one week before my test for 1st gup. I didn't have a chance to be nervous, because I was working (judging, scoring, ect). Once I got up and did my thing, I had to go right back to working.

But that showed me that I did great under pressure. I wasn't nervous at all at my test for 1st gup. And I passed. I totally believe that it was because of that tourny.

Laurie F

Presentation is part of technique. Having the mechanics down, i.e., hand placement, chamber, length of stance, timing, is about 75 % of the battle. The other 25 % or so is integrating the physical with the mental...convincing yourself that the technique "belongs to you", showing that you "understand" it's use, having confidence in your actions....that is presentation.

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/

Intensity does not always = McDojo McFlip Kata. My school runs an open tournament every April where you can do any type of form you want and about 90% of the time it is someone doing a traditional form who takes Grand Champion in BB forms. Our most recent GC is the type of guy who will quiet 1000 people in a gym because his kata are so crisp and intense. No screaming, no flips, just solid karate presented well. If I get a chance I'll post some video once I get our 40th anniversary DVD back...

Hey all.

I am a forms geek. I ALWAYS compete in forms at tournies. Well, the last tourny was great. I placed second (for once) in my division (I always got third ... gggrrr LOL). There were 4 BBs and two red belts (myself included). Both of us red belts beat the BBs. I was the only one that was 30 years of age. The rest were younger than 18 (I don't know why they put me in that division *shrugs* LOL).

One judge said that, as far as she was concerned, I got 1st on technique alone, but the "theme" of the tourny was presentation, which I kinda lack in. This same person helped me with my form before hand. I drilled my form hard with her (she knows who I'm talking about ;) ).

I have judged forms (for kids in the same tourny and the one before it). I look for technique. I'm not big on presentation. Well, it does count if they look confident and all, but I'm a technique geek. I look for sharp and clean technique, and strong stances. I like a good kihap, but I hate the screaming, which is a turn-off to me, so I don't do it.

Anyways, for those that judged in forms, let me know what you look for (traditional forms).

Heres the way I judge and how I break it apart when I am judging.

1) Correct techniques, performed at the correct level, i.e., midsection punch actually goes to midsection, not somewhere above the head :D

2) Proper stances (Feet not turned way out in a middle stance, back stance doesn't look like a sparring stance, etc.)

3) Transition/movement - Are they balanced, do they bob up and down like the ocean, do they move from technique to technique smoothly, etc.

The rest is covered by the person's attitude during the form. Is the person "giving it"? By that I mean, if it was an attacker coming at them (Which is what kata is supposed to be, responses to attackers), would the technique drop them? Or just make them giggle? This includes proper eye contact (Looking towards the technique, not the floor, not the ceiling, etc), and anticipating/looking where you are going next, proper kihaps (Not necessarily the death scream, but let me know you feel it), things of that nature.

Generally that is enough to distinguish everyone. However, if I get to the point where they are still too close to call, I go to how they answered up when called, their attitude during bow-in/choon be, and their general appearance/demeanor. So, if competitor A and B are tied, and B ambles to the center of the ring, has on a wrinkled/soiled dobok, he's not getting the presentation points from me if I'm the center judge.

Sounds like you've got the moves, you just need to work on that little bit of "oomph" that a tournament requires, even in the traditional rings.

Aodhan

There are some people who live in a dream world, and there are some who face reality; and then there are those who turn one into the other.

-Douglas Everett, American hockey player

I've been competing in forms since 1985. I compete in some of the largest tournaments in North America. From all these years, I learned that it is showtime as soon as you enter the ring. Therefore, presentation is part of the entire performance at the events I compete in. If you take two competitors with similar technique, the one with the better presentation will probably win.

Clint

Free Spirit Martial Arts Activewear

http://www.FreeSpiritActivewear.com

If that's what you meant by presentation then, I didn't do that? I thought you meant the talking loud, and stuff (which I did try to do LOL). But you have a good point.

"Talking loud and stuff" is a part of presentation-the way you speak and carry yourself says alot about what you are about to do. If you can convince yourself you own it, you can convince others too.

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/

If that's what you meant by presentation then, I didn't do that? I thought you meant the talking loud, and stuff (which I did try to do LOL). But you have a good point.

"Talking loud and stuff" is a part of presentation-the way you speak and carry yourself says alot about what you are about to do. If you can convince yourself you own it, you can convince others too.

8)

YES!

The way I teach my students, is that when they step into that ring, for forms or sparring or whatever, they now OWN THAT RING. It is THEIR'S, and if anyone wants it, they have to bring it to take it.

We emphasize sportsmanship and to compete is to win, and I follow that as well, before and after the competition. During the competition, you better own that ring or someone will own you. It's all presentation and attitude. :D

Aodhan

There are some people who live in a dream world, and there are some who face reality; and then there are those who turn one into the other.

-Douglas Everett, American hockey player