• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Ong-Bak off the hook!!!!

I saw this movie called Ong-Bak that movie is off the hook!!!! I recomend it!!!

The knowing of Violence and living in no violence brings peace.

Shaolin Chuan Fa

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Wait till you see Ong Bak 2 Tom Yum Goong it blows the other away. Tony Jaa will be the next MA star.

"What's your style?"

"My style?"

"You can call it the art of fighting without fighting."

• 3 weeks later...

The fights were cool (really cool). Not much of a plot to speak of.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

I know this statement I'm about to make is going to offend all of you. Good thing about America is freedom of speech. Anyways, I thought this movie was horrible. Sure it had a few cool fight scenes. But to me, the fight scenes were all exactly the same. Get into a fight and throw a knee. Not really great choreography. I don't think he is a great like Jet Li or Jackie Chan. If you want to see some great choreography watch House of the Flying Daggers. If you want to see some good MA movies, then watch Seven Samurai. Sure it's old, but it's authentic. Not someone throwing knees every five seconds.

As for the plot, or should I say lack their of, it was horrible. Let's all just go look for a head and fight, throw knees, everyone that we see. Personally, I find that Unleashed was a much better choice to watch. It had a good plot and Jet Li is unbelievable. It's more realistic of someone just going crazy on a person. I also think it had the best close quarters fight scene ever. The bathroom scene was just cool. Sorry for the harshness, just don't think it's as good as everyone makes it out to be.

Belt: 2nd Dan

School: FiveStar Karate

Instructor: Tim Little

I know this statement I'm about to make is going to offend all of you. Good thing about America is freedom of speech. Anyways, I thought this movie was horrible. Sure it had a few cool fight scenes. But to me, the fight scenes were all exactly the same. Get into a fight and throw a knee. Not really great choreography. I don't think he is a great like Jet Li or Jackie Chan. If you want to see some great choreography watch House of the Flying Daggers. If you want to see some good MA movies, then watch Seven Samurai. Sure it's old, but it's authentic. Not someone throwing knees every five seconds.

As for the plot, or should I say lack their of, it was horrible. Let's all just go look for a head and fight, throw knees, everyone that we see. Personally, I find that Unleashed was a much better choice to watch. It had a good plot and Jet Li is unbelievable. It's more realistic of someone just going crazy on a person. I also think it had the best close quarters fight scene ever. The bathroom scene was just cool. Sorry for the harshness, just don't think it's as good as everyone makes it out to be.

I own the seven samuri, and have seen house of flying daggers, yeah they are great, but I still thin ong bak was great too. I love the motorcycle chase scene too.

place clever martial arts phrase here

I own the seven samuri, and have seen house of flying daggers, yeah they are great, but I still thin ong bak was great too. I love the motorcycle chase scene too.

awwwww!!! :kaioken: I tried to rent Seven Samurai but they didnt have it! Is it worth watching? O yea and Ong-Bak was a great movie.

"Time is what we want most, but what we use worst"

William Penn

• 2 weeks later...

What's significant about Ong Bak and Tony Jaa is that the stunts were performed without the benefit of wire work. How is this not authentic? Jet Li's flics are often filled with wire-dependent choreography, same with House of Flying Daggers. Not necessarily a bad thing, from an entertainment perspective, but not very impressive or authentic from a martial arts perspective.

Elbows (you forgot them) and knees are devastating fighting weapons often neglected in MA films. I'm pretty sure the use of elbows in Ong Bak inspired the fight choreographer of Brangelina's Mr. & Mrs. Smith, as Brad does a good imitation of Tony Jaa breaking a vase with an elbow strike.

The plot, as you say, is weak. So what. Most martial arts films, with a few exceptions suffer from poor scripts, dialogue, production values and acting. The Seven Samurai is in a different category of film. It was so well conceived that it even made sense without Kurosawa, Mifune and swords. You've heard of the old Western, The Magnificent Seven?