• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Worst movies for the martial arts world

I'm curious what movies everyone thinks were bad for the martial arts world? Are there any that you think paint the martial arts in a bad light?

I enjoy the coreography, but sometimes I wonder if Steven Segal and Van Damme amoung others put a negative spin on the MA.

I have had some people, who are not familar with the martial arts, tell me that they believe martial art training encourages people to be violent.

5th Dan Tang Soo Do

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

Anything with Jean Claude Van Damme!!

American Ninja Series

3 Ninja Series

The entire Blood Sport Series 1-90000

I guess most martial arts movies give the MA world a poor image in so much as most of them utilize violence as a selling point.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

Ok, if you are going to put it that the movies you listed above as having a violent plot, then take out 3 Ninjas. I think that 3 Ninjas was a great movie for it's time. I think that it probably motivated a lot of kids to join the martial arts. It never says that it is for violence, because they are always trying to help someone and most of them time fight because they are forced to. That's why the grandpa got onto them for fighting in some instances because he didn't think that they were protecting themselves with MA, but rather causing fights.

Any Damme movie put a bad image to MA. I think that most people watch those movies and say that they would never be hit with a kick like that. And most of the time, it is true. You don't do flashy moves in a real fight. You fight dirty and you fight to win. Sure someone with experience might throw a kick, but I guarantee you it'll be to the knee or somewhere like that.. not to the head with a jump kick.

Also, I think that Seagal movies were good for a little bit. Most of the times he was put into a position where he had to fight out of it. But he really didn't fight for violence. His biggest thing was to disable the person using their own strength and power against themselves.

I can't really think of any movies that painted the MA badly. But then again, I haven't seen a lot of movies dealing with the MA. I personally think that the power rangers, although motivating to kids to get into the martial arts, made MA look really fake and stuff. All the dramatic flips and all of that. Also, they would use flashy moves to win fights. That just isn't real life. Of course, real life isn't that interesting, but they are movies and tv shows.. so, that's why they use that stuff.

Belt: 2nd Dan

School: FiveStar Karate

Instructor: Tim Little

• 2 months later...

Don "the Dragon" Wilson movies... lol. As a matter of fact.. i think all movies starred by an "all Star" cast of retired kickboxers are bad. lol

So far the only American Kickboxer that looks cool in movies is Benny Urquidez.

I suggest it as my favorite, but its soooo dumb!

Shaolin Soccar

You suck-train harder.......................Don't block with your face

A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.

-Lao Tzu

• 2 weeks later...

"I'd have to say 'The Quest' or 'Street Fighter' both starring Van Damme has to be two of the biggest MA turds I've ever seen on film..."

Agreed

"Si vis pacem, para bellum."

- If you want peace, prepare for war-

Vegetius

• 1 month later...