• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Need Help

tsdkid

I curnetly stude tangsoodo.I have a friend who teachis jinbukan goju.He ben trying to get me to cross tran with him.I was woundering how afective and pratical this art is.also do you think it will blend well with tangsoodo.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

It's as effective as your friend makes it.

Goju should be a very practical close in fighting system. Will it complement tsd? That depends on your ability to combine the two systems, but yes you should find that it makes you more comfortabel at a range that perhaps you are not so familiar with.

I keep asking God what I'm for and he tells me........."gee I'm not sure!"

Yeh it will all martial arts complement each other just some to a more or less degree tthey will all help you just some more than others

'basically we only have two arms and 2 legs'

Bruce Lee

so the way we do things some of it is always similar

The key to everything is continuity achieved by discipline.

Tang Soo Do CAN (not always will though) look like shotokan (Depending upon lineage), so Goju can be a fun way to cross train. Learning more is always good. There are only so many ways to beat someone up :karate:

You didn't say what rank you are in your style. Sometimes when you are beginning a style, it can be tough to train in another style. Have seen this problem arise in our school. When trying to teach something particular to a student training in other dojo's, I sometimes get "Well my other instructor said_____________". I believe they also do this to the instructor of the other school too. Before doing this, ask your own instructor what his/her opinion might be about you cross training. Some instructors do not like it when their students are doing so. Most instructors like to keep their dojo teaching traditional and what I have seen happen is students who cross train, come in unintentionally and teach what they have learned elsewhere. Doesn't always go over well with the head instructor. Good luck in whatever you decide. I think however, if you are enjoying your style, your school, your instructor, stay true to it.

A great martial artist is one who is humble and respectful of others.

I pretty much agree with JayMac. If you don't have much experience yet in TangSooDo, I don't think you should try something else yet. After you have all the basics down and can keep straight what your supposed to be doing where then it should be fine. I've done a little of other stuff besides Shotokan but I didn't start until I was already a black belt.

Make a decision and stick with one. Don't blend. It probably will not blend anyhow...at least now well. Just my thoughts. It's your decision

"Don't tell me the sky's the limit because I have seen footprints on the moon!" -- Paul Brandt

It all depends on how well you mix it. But there right, if your a lower rank, wait till your about half way to black belt to do it, but ultimatly its your choice, i would consolt your sensei (and dont expect a happy answer.)

Martial arts training is 30% classroom training, 70% solo training.

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/