• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

GKR Karate

Co_Co

I don't think there's anything wrong with learning from a brown belt. Of course, a club should have at least one black belt, preferably a higher dan.

When I tried out kyokushinkai I learned the most from a really talented brown belt. He was training for his black belt. (He spent the most time with myself and a few other students - the class was divided into small groups for instruction.)

Kata is like a good stir-fry: preparation and timing are everything.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most people with any sense that I have talked to leave GKR after they experience other styles of Karate. I mean c'mon now...GKR is known as the "door to door karate sales people"...

flowing like the chi energy inside your body b =rZa=

In GKR all the instructors wear those black and white belts. They could be a yellow belt or a 2nd Dan. My husband used to train with them but left because of their dodgy sales tactics and the fact that he was wearing an instructors belt as a low level coloured belt. Granted he was already a Shodan-Ho in another style but he saw lots of very inexperienced people becoming instructors and being called Sensei. According to him though he was happy for the students he taught to know his belt level and i really think it is important to know the level of your instructors. At least if you know their rank then you can guage which of the instructors have the most experience. If you were being taught by a 2nd dan, a brown belt and a yellow belt then you will be able to see that if the yellow belt and the 2nd dan tell you 2 slightly different things then the 2nd dan has more experience and their explanation is probably right. It is your right to know the rank of your instructor and if they won't tell you then that is deception - just like those black and white belts.

I would personally steer clear of GKR but if you're happy there and enjoy it you should at least know the rank and experience of your sensei.

In my dojo everyone is encourage to teach someone else at least one thing. This goes to help with cementing team work, getting to know your peers, and also in communicating your own interpretation of a technique. However all of that is supervised by a Sensei or a Sempai. That the same for you in GKR?

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu

Most people with any sense that I have talked to leave GKR after they experience other styles of Karate. I mean c'mon now...GKR is known as the "door to door karate sales people"...

That's just an advertising method, has nothing to do with their standard. In fact, GKR has probably the marketing of any school in the world. So for this reason, I think if you are looking at ways to improve your school size, GKR is a role model.

As to the standard of their teaching, that's a different matter all together, and really does depend on the individual dojo.

The mind is like a parachute, it only works when it's open.

Howdy,

I've been training with GKR for 1 and half years. Its the first MA training I've done so I have nothing to compare it with. I have trained at a number of dojos and each one has its own individual flavour. Though there is meant to be a set program each instructor pretty much runs their dojo how they like. Some dojos (like mine) are doing a lot of fitness related stuff this year (it hurts! :bawling: ) cause apparently fitness is the theme for the year...I'd rather it was sparring! :karate:

I went to a new dojo on Monday and apart from being airconditioned! :) it was the best class I've had in about a year...got heaps of personalized attention from a black belt as there were three bb instructors (a whole family of them!). I'll be going back there again for sure.

Cheers.

• 1 month later...

I train in GKR, and I hate the idea of Black and White belts. All of my instructors are at least Shodan black belts, but in other dojos, 5th kyu take classes. I am a 2nd Kyu, and it really annoys me when i have to call someone sensei, but then they have to follow me because they don't know Bassai-Dai, which I learned 3 years ago, or Sei-un-Chin, which i learned about 18 months ago.

And i know people slag GKR off for selling door-to-door, but most people leave within 3 months, becasue the 'McDojo' GKR's training is too hard, becasue they don't like the amount of discipline we are expected to have etc. GKR has changed since the times of "hey you've been training 3 years, heres a black-belt"...almost