• advertisement_alt

Multiple Martial Arts?

How many different Martial Arts do you study  

44 members have voted

1. 1. How many different Martial Arts do you study

• 1-2
    • 3-4
    • 5-6

I currently am only studying TKD, but when I was in high school I boxed and wrestled. I chose each of these because they all complement the others weeknesses. Boxing has good hand attacks, but week leg movements. Wrestling is all grappling, but leaves you open for being punched and kicked. TKD had underdeveloped hand attacks, but very strong in the leg dept. However my school has a bit of hapkido integrated into the system, so the hand attacks are a bit better than your average TKD school. Mixing styles is very important if you want to be a well rounded martial artist.

"The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • 1 month later...

I study 3 martial arts at present: Tae Kwon Do, Aikido and Kick Boxing. Tae Kwon Do on Sundays, Aikido on Mondays and Fridays and Kick Boxing on Wednesdays and Thursdays.

I have studied Tae Kwon Do in two different countries and have studied both WTF and ITF forms (although I am not high ranking in either one - green belt). When I moved to the area that I live in now, I could not find a WTF school and therefore started back at the beginning in the ITF form. I am happy with this but unfortunately I only visit on Sundays.

I have Aikido on Mondays and Fridays and find that it is very different to Tae Kwon Do and fits nicely with 'a change is as good as a rest'.

I also do Kick Boxing on Wednesdays and Thursdays (women only) to drill in the basics of kicking and punching to help with my Tae Kwon Do.

As far as socializing this is great because there are 3 different clubs with 3 different sets of people.

I used to cross-train but now I'm doing only Goju ryu Karate. I think that cross-training is extremely beneficial... The reason why I don't do it now is my schedule otherwise I think I would cross-train.

I study Kajukenbo, BJJ, and Judo right now, but I used to study Karate for quite a while and I took a semester of TKD, a summer of Kung Fu, and some Hapkido and JJJ seminars. Also, the Kajukenbo curriculum itself is kind of small, so it lends time to Kali Escrima, Self Defense, etc.

You suck-train harder.......................Don't block with your face

A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.

-Lao Tzu