• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Satin Belts

kurome

What are your opinions on them? Not really talking about the cheap generic ones like century and such, but the quality Shureido and Meijin and Kamikaze et cetera. Like them or dislike them? Wear them or not? Pros and cons? Differences?

Edited by kurome

"You all come from different instructors, so as I look around the room I may see many different

ways of preforming this kata, however, if you are turning left and I turn right, we have a problem."

-Renshi Thomas Apsokardu (Godan, Okinawa Kenpo Karate Kobudo Koryu Kan)

Matthew Sullivan

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
What are your opinions on them? Not really talking about the cheap generic ones like century and such, but the quality Shureido and Meijin and Kamikaze et cetera. Like them or dislike them? Wear them or not? Pros and cons? Differences?

I like the cotton belts better. They last a lot longer. Some people like the way the satin ones wear out faster and make them look like they have been a black belt for a long time and therefore must be good or senior.

I got most of my belts at Tokaido. Now they have everything online so I think I will order that way next time. https://www.tokaidojapan.com

• 1 month later...

I too use only cotton. If I did get a satin maybe it would be for special events/promotions/etc. I don't plan on getting one though.

"Don't tell me the sky's the limit because I have seen footprints on the moon!" -- Paul Brandt

• 3 weeks later...

I have an embroidered Shureido satin belt for karate. I figured that I was gonna be a Dan grade for a lot longer than I was a kyu grade, so I might as well treat myself to a nice belt! I like it but I don't think I'll buy another expensive belt for when I get to 1st Dan in TKD. Spending a lot of money on one satin BB is enough for me. I'll most likely stick to cotton belts when I get to BB in TKD, as it will be cheaper.

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

Shureido's satin and cotton belts have a same price. Difference is only in appearance.

When it comes to belts in general, cotton and (artificial) satin usually have a same price. Actually, some high quality brands - such as Hirota - price their cotton belts higher than satin belts. Real silk belts (well, actually just silk covered belts) are very expensive. Tokaido and Kamae International do offer them, as well as other top notch manufacturers.

For a training belt, I recommend high quality cotton. It will last longer and look smart. However, you won't get that "ragged rope" -look so quickly...

Jussi Häkkinen

Okinawan Shorin-Ryu Seibukan Karate-Do (Kyan Chotoku lineage)

Turku

Finland

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

There is a young lad in my karate club who gained his black belt in december. I was talking to him in training last night and asked him how much his belt was. When he told me £60 i nearly fell to the floor. I spend £5 on my belts at the most and they are all cotton and made by Blitz. He said he ordered his from Camae (i think thats how to spell it). I think it's madness spending so much but to be honest after training for so many years i think it's well deserved.

Walk away and your always a winner. https://www.shikata-shotokan.co.uk

Cotton, definitely cotton. Silk/satin belts just wear out really fast and give a false impression that you've been a black belt longer than you have.

My first BB was a satin tokaido and within a year it was wearing so much I felt embarrased. So I got myself a cotton one and 5 years on it's still good. It's worn in quite well now and has a few more years left in it but at least I know myself that it's worn through hard work and not because the material has a lifespan of 5 minutes.

Richard Hang Hong

Chief Instructor

Seitou Ryu Karate

Find me on Facebook!Seitou Ryu Karate