• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

How long till you got Black Belt

Personaly 1 and a half years seems to quick for me. I would much rather have a good understanding of all I was doing before I got my blackbelt. I'd assume that starting at a reasonable age 2-4 years would be good.

Then again some learn quicker it all depends.

Unless you're rather good 1 and a half years a promised black belt sounds fishy.

Needing to focus...

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well i'm in Tkd WTF, i'm yellow belt . and it will probably take me 16 to 19 more months at the most to get my black belt or ready for BB testing. so i guess its 2 years but even tho its our master's desicion only desicion rather we can test for our bb.

Master of Heaven and Light

A black belt should only be given if they can prove that they can defend there selfs. Knowing the forms,Kicks,Strikes,Blocks in the air will do nothing, when some one wents to stomp your head into the ground. Why even do a Art. If you can't even save your self from some one that has no belt at all?

I say what ever the time it takes to learn it...In know it good enough to use it.

A black belt should only be given if they can prove that they can defend there selfs. Knowing the forms,Kicks,Strikes,Blocks in the air will do nothing, when some one wents to stomp your head into the ground. Why even do a Art. If you can't even save your self from some one that has no belt at all?

I say what ever the time it takes to learn it...In know it good enough to use it.

Defend yourself against who? How do you test for that? Must you be able to defend yourself against a master of your art or even a master of another art? Must you defend against every possible weapon?

Even a yellow belt learns how to defend against some people, but they are certainly not ready to be black belts.

Even a yellow belt learns how to defend against some people, but they are certainly not ready to be black belts.

I assume Tkd5 means that in addition to the other material, the candidate should be able to defend themselves.

Though I agree, that's a pretty subjective statement. I agree with him that the practical application of the art should be part of the requirement, but how exactly that is measured is wide open to interpretation.

To answer the original question, I've been studying KSW for a little over 2 years and do not yet have my black belt. If I had to take a guess, I'd say it'll be another 1-2 years. But "Don't Call me Sir" has a very good point. Besides the style, teacher, etc, how quickly you can progress depends on how much time and effort the student puts in.

I think it depends on how many times a week you train. I've heard and read a few items on time and the best yet is 666 hours. Creepy huh?!? Anything less than 500 and more than 1000 hours seem a little out of line. I would say my belt took 1000 hours of training tho.

place clever martial arts phrase here

• 2 weeks later...

I'm currently 5th kup, due to test for 4th in about 6 weeks.

I'm aiming to be testing for my 1st dan in TKD in about 2 to 2.5 years, although chances are it may be longer than that.

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!