• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Real or Fake Weapons Training?

username6911

I think the ideal answer is - Train with both!

Generally, people get more from training with real weapons than fake ones. You learn a better respect for the weapon and it's uses. If however you are getting injuries from the weapons, you do not have suffiecient respect for the weapon, or you just do not have sufficient training.

ANY training should be a challenge. NEVER should it be dangerous.

The mind is like a parachute, it only works when it's open.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

If, during training, you collect disabilities, then your training regimen is counterproductive. You are becoming less able to survive a conflict, not more able. The goal is to make advances in your training, not to be macho or impress your friends with your bravado. You cannot readily do that if you spend half your time in convalescence, or lose organs and limbs.

If you practice with real weapons, then do so with utmost consideration for your safety and the safety of your training partner (see this article). If you practice with fake weapons, you must still do so with utmost consideration for your safety and the safety of your training partner.

"When you are able to take the keys from my hand, you will be ready to drive." - Shaolin DMV Test

Intro

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I train with real weapons that are not padded but also not sharp. Seriously, what is the purpose of using sharpened weapons to train with. I am not going to use sai or kama in order to defend myself in a real life situation. I love learning about weapons and training myself to use them, but not at the expense of injurying myself or possibly other practitioner in the dojo.

A great martial artist is one who is humble and respectful of others.

• 2 weeks later...

The idea of training with live blade is that you will treat it slightly differently to that of a training weapon. Having said that, you need to toss up if the added benefit is worth the risk. For most.... it's not.

The mind is like a parachute, it only works when it's open.