• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Real or Fake Weapons Training?

username6911

I'd like to know how many people use Real or Fake Weapons for Training. Maybe even combat and maybe share a little experience with misshaps from using them.

I've had my share of martial arts related injuries in the past. Since I was 6years old i've broken 12, fractured too many to count, lost an eye, sliced with machette on my face. Despite all that has happened, my passion for Deadly martial arts is undying. People say my downfall is my unwillingness to use wooden or rubber weapons instead of the real things.

You may think that i'm stupid for doing this, and for good reason. BUT I have ALWAY'S trained and combated with real weapons, and I have but only a few regrets.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

With all due respect, I am not sure what the point of your post is. Losing an eye and getting my face slashed with a machete isnt really my idea of good training. But to each his own. We rarely use real weapons because of the obvious risks involved.

"You know the best thing about pain? It let's you know you're not dead yet!"

http://geshmacheyid.forumotion.com/f14-self-defense

Same here. Our style uses padded weapons, and we generally get slammed for "unrealistic training", but none of our students are missing limbs/parts, and can all still walk well.

Aodhan

There are some people who live in a dream world, and there are some who face reality; and then there are those who turn one into the other.

-Douglas Everett, American hockey player

You're downfall might be your method of practicing or training, but I don't know what your regiment or methods of training are, so I'll just speculate by your list of injuries and your pride in them. I just don't know if I'd use losing an eye or cutting my face up with a machete as a badge of honor with weapons usage.

But to answer your question, we use real weapons at our school and wouldn't even think of using fake ones. Accidents happen during training, be it with weapons or just standard martial arts - that's just part of training. But personally I've never known even one of our students to lose an eye or get their face slashed during weapons training. Maybe we're just more careful...

A little off topic, but that's a good reason why low ranks shouldn't work with weapons. The weapon is supposed to be an extension of your body - if you can't work you body yet, how proficient are you going to be with a weapon? You might lose an eye figuring that one out. But hopefully not!

To use real or fake weapons though, I'd argue it from this angle: when are you good enough to use real ones? When you've had three years practice? When you can do the weapons kata in your sleep?

If I wanted to learn how to shoot a gun I wouldn't practice with a toy - I'd learn the safety of a real one and then carefully practice with it. Same with martial arts weapons. If you're stupid enough to start slinging around kamas without regard to safety or experience - you've earned whatever happens to you.

The point of practice is to continue on the next day.

Otherwise it is just self-imposed war upon either your own self, or your opponent.

It is the intent behind using the weapon that counts the most, as well as understanding the limitations of using weapons, and the advantages of using the weapon.

The main thing to remember is to work and train smart, and know that whatever you hold in your hand is just an extension of yourself, and of the primary weapon at your disposal, which is your brain.

When we train with with weapons, we are not just training our limbs to react to certain stimuli, we are training our entire body, and mind.

If you train with bladed weapons, you could always get the one's that are not "live".

That is, the edge is dull, and the point is rubbed down.

The point to any practice, especially weapons training, is that you do it safely, with the right amount of intent, purpose, body mechanics, and strategy.

To each their own on this, and I wish each of you best of luck in your individual efforts to better your martial art training!

:)

Current:Head Instructor - ShoNaibuDo - TCM/Taijiquan/Chinese Boxing Instructor

Past:TKD ~ 1st Dan, Goju Ryu ~ Trained up 2nd Dan - Brown belt 1 stripe, Kickboxing (Muay Thai) & Jujutsu Instructor

Be at peace, and share peace with others...

• 3 weeks later...

Losing an eye during training is foolish and a waste of an eye, not a good trade. Losing an eye during a fight for your life and you still walk away alive is a good trade.

I think you got the bad end of the deal. You lost an eye due to your realistic training, but now you're at a disadvantage for the real deal.

Real weapons serve their training purpose, but that purpose is not to damage the student. Otherwise, what's the point? Getting i permanently njured during practice is simply stupid and a waste. Getting injured during a fight is just part of the fight and worth the exchange if you are the one who walks away alive.

"I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.

Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world." Einstein

If you've been training since six years of age with live blades and un-padded weapons, and have accumulated all those injuries including the loss of an eye, I must ask you where was the parental supervision? Further, what kind of teacher allows children to maim themselves? Please, reconsider the risks inherent in your style of training. What more are you prepared to give up in exchange for the perceived gain?

I train with both light and heavy non-bladed weapons. One of them is the 3 section staff and I've hit myself on the head, face, elbows and knees many times. Training with real or heavy weapons is good for strength but also has the potential to increase injury. So whenever I'm trying out new moves, especially with the heavy weapons, I will wear a helmet, and pads for elbows and knees. I might look stupid but I really don't want any more bruises. As for blades, I've done some broadsword work but really don't think it is necessary to use sharp ones.

Clint

Free Spirit Martial Arts Activewear

http://www.FreeSpiritActivewear.com