• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I know my body will tell me when to stop but I need an idea.

Ryokeen

I'm looking to gain 15 lbs of muscle, not mass, but muscle.

I know I'll gain some mass that's only natural, but I'd like 15lbs fo solid muscle growth.

Right now I'm 120lbs at around 7% bodyfat.

Bassically a skinny kid having the most muscle in my legs.

I need to set some goals, any ideas?

Also is there a certain way I should go about this so I don't get much mass but the muscle? Obviously I won't be lifting heavy or anythign like that.

Acrobatics are in my plans for the future as well. So keep that in mind.

I'd like to be about 135 lbs 6-8% body fat.

Thanks in advanced,

Aaron

Needing to focus...

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
I'm looking to gain 15 lbs of muscle, not mass, but muscle.

Right now I'm 120lbs at around 7% bodyfat.

Bassically a skinny kid having the most muscle in my legs.

I need to set some goals, any ideas?

Also is there a certain way I should go about this so I don't get much mass but the muscle? Obviously I won't be lifting heavy or anythign like that.

Acrobatics are in my plans for the future as well. So keep that in mind.

I'd like to be about 135 lbs 6-8% body fat.

Thanks in advanced,

Aaron

Aaron -

how old are you? If you are still growing, I wouldn't worry too much about adding muscle mass, it's REALLY difficult to do while still going through growth spurts.

As far as not wanting to lift heavy, sorry, but you will have to lift heavier than you are used to if you want to add mass. You can add minimal mass by staying at a static weight, but to add it you have to stress the muscles beyond what they are used to.

As far as the acrobatics go, I would join a local gymnastics club. Most of them have beginner adult classes, and this will give you a really safe environment to practice in with a knowledgable coach. Show them some of the videos of what you want to do and work with them to tailor your program.

Aodhan

There are some people who live in a dream world, and there are some who face reality; and then there are those who turn one into the other.

-Douglas Everett, American hockey player

I see,

So that means any and all muscle I do get will have to be the normal, long, and seemingly harder way. Because of my age, I can't exactly lift heavy, as I am still going through growth and developement.

And I can't find a "local" gymnastics place. The closest (I could find) would be rather far away, and would mean my parents would have to go out of there way 5 days/week.

It would be perfect as they have a class just for my needs but again, it's rather far away and I don't want to force my ride to take me there as well as my martial arts class 5 days a week.

Oh, Fishsticks.

Oh well,

I could always learn that the hardway too.

-Aaron

(( P.S. I live in Mansfield, Ohio. ))

Needing to focus...

If you want to do acrobatics as well as gain muscle, you will definitely need a very careful balance. You can do weights and pylometrics to help you gain power in jumping. That will build some muscle but of course heavy lifting will be more effective. You will have to monitor how well your acrobatics is doing. If you gain weight faster than your acrobatics can handle, then you need to cut back a bit on the heavier lifting. You may need to decide which is the primary goal - acrobatics or muscle?

Clint

Free Spirit Martial Arts Activewear

http://www.FreeSpiritActivewear.com

I see,

So that means any and all muscle I do get will have to be the normal, long, and seemingly harder way. Because of my age, I can't exactly lift heavy, as I am still going through growth and developement.

And I can't find a "local" gymnastics place. The closest (I could find) would be rather far away, and would mean my parents would have to go out of there way 5 days/week.

It would be perfect as they have a class just for my needs but again, it's rather far away and I don't want to force my ride to take me there as well as my martial arts class 5 days a week.

Oh, Fishsticks.

Oh well,

I could always learn that the hardway too.

-Aaron

(( P.S. I live in Mansfield, Ohio. ))

You absolutely can lift heavy. The idea that weight lifting stunts your growth is a myth which has since been debunked. Weight lifting has many positive benefits for people of any age.

So lift big and eat big and you will grow.

22 years old

Shootwrestling

Formerly Wado-Kai Karate

How old are you? if your 16+ I'd suggest you bulk up! and get on a good lifting program where your not 'overtraining' supplement your food intake with a good multi vitamin some extra vit c and a good weight gain powder! to gain 15lbs of pure muscle your going to have to put on about 30 or so pounds of 'weight' gaining 'pure' muscle all at once naturally takes a very long time unless your on steriods or GH, your young so bulk up first then 'cut up' up your physique later, like the saying from 'Arnold' goes a 'sculpter cant sculpt a peeble'! you need size first! Eat,Lift Heavy and Rest! good luck

You absolutely can lift heavy. The idea that weight lifting stunts your growth is a myth which has since been debunked. Weight lifting has many positive benefits for people of any age.

Do you have any studies for this, dok? The last studies I read for my thesis showed that overdeveloped musculature at a young age could cause premature closure of the epiphyseal plates. If that's been disproven, I've got some kids I train that I could start on a more advanced weight program.

Drop me a PM if you have a lot of links for the studies. Thanks!

Aodhan

There are some people who live in a dream world, and there are some who face reality; and then there are those who turn one into the other.

• 2 weeks later...

Do you have any studies for this, dok? The last studies I read for my thesis showed that overdeveloped musculature at a young age could cause premature closure of the epiphyseal plates. If that's been disproven, I've got some kids I train that I could start on a more advanced weight program.

Aodhan

This article from 2002 in the American College of sports medicine claims no risk of growth stunting. http:// http://www.acsm.org/health%2Bfitness/pdf/currentcomments/stretrai122602.pdf

As does this from the American Academy of Pediatrics (2001). http://aappolicy.aappublications.org/cgi/content/full/pediatrics;107/6/1470

I'll check some of the journals I get through my university library to see if there's anything more recent. If newer information suggests otherwise, I will retract my statement.

22 years old

Shootwrestling

Formerly Wado-Kai Karate

Aodhan

This article from 2002 in the American College of sports medicine claims no risk of growth stunting. http:// http://www.acsm.org/health%2Bfitness/pdf/currentcomments/stretrai122602.pdf

As does this from the American Academy of Pediatrics (2001). http://aappolicy.aappublications.org/cgi/content/full/pediatrics;107/6/1470

I'll check some of the journals I get through my university library to see if there's anything more recent. If newer information suggests otherwise, I will retract my statement.

Ah, ok. (Although the references are a bit skimpy, the issue gets one sentence in each study.)

The references you give do say that properly supervised weight training hasn't been shown to have any impact, but they don't address overdevelopment. My readings were on the OVERdevelopment of young musculature, such as you get in elite gymnasts. If I can find a copy of my thesis, I'll post the studies that read.

I agree properly supervised, it shouldn't pose a problem, it's the overdeveloped musculature that can cause problems.

Thanks for the links!

Aodhan