• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Pelvic Alignment

KickChick

One thing that I have been working on for several months now (besides my forward/side splits) is pelvic alignment.

Having your pelvis aligned in a proper natural position is important for balance, correct posture, proper operation of the body, and efficiency of movement. Many people do not have this correct alignment. They may have one leg slightly longer than the other, curvature of the spine, or something as simple as a sore spot in their lower back that causes them to compensate by favoring one side or the other and taking the hips out of proper position. One thing every martial artist must work on is to train each side equally! (we all tend to favor either our right or left!)

A mis aligned pelvis also may lead to poor blood circulation and put pressure on the central nervous system. As your body interprets the discomfort of the mis aligned pelvis, it sends messages to your brain that affect your mental outlook. You are more likely to be nervous about pain or injuries. This is also an underlying factor that Tom Kurz mentions in his book "Stretching Scientifically"... that precludes many of us from doing 'perfect' splits.... (it's all in your mind, believe it or not...well, besides the physical too!)

Fortunately, pelvic alignment can be corrected. If the mind is tense, it is impossible to relax the muscles, joints and ligaments. So start with breathing exercises to ease any stress. Breathe out slowly until all the air is squeezed out of your body, starting this breath in the chest and working down into the abdomen to squeeze out the last of the exhale. Then inhale in the reverse order, starting with the abdomen and filling the chest last. Imagine you are breathing in through the bottoms of your feet, the air is working its way through your body then exiting back out through the bottoms of your feet as you exhale.

Once you have reached a higher state of relaxation, you can move to a series of stretches and exercises that will help loosen and strengthen the muscles, joints and ligaments of the pelvis and in turn bring it to a more natural position.

Some stretches:

Sit on the floor with your feet extended. Secure an elastic band(resistance tubing), or something similar around a heavy object or have a partner hold the other end. Set the band so its tension helps pull your chest down toward your legs as you push your heels forward at the same time. Relax. Don't try to pull yourself down. Let the band do the work for you. While you are stretching use the breathing exercise we discussed earlier. Next use the elastic band in a similar manner while bringing your feet together and in close to your pelvis in the butterfly position. Then try the same feeling to stretch with both legs spread in the splits.

Some exercises:

Lay on your back with your hands tucked below your hips and your knees bent. Roll the knees from one side to the other. Keep your shoulders relaxed in order to begin every movement with the hips.

Take the elastic band and wrap it around yourself just below the top of the hips. Make the band snug. This will help focus your mental attention to the muscle action in this area. Now stand with your feet about shoulder width. Cross your arms and relax your shoulders. Make slight tension in your lower abdominal muscles and pull your hips forward, flattening the lumbar curve in your lower back and straightening the spine. Grip the floor with your big toes, planting your heels firmly in place. Making this connection with the floor will send nerve impulses up the legs to the pelvic region you are trying to strengthen. Now rotate the hips from side to side making sure to keep your body center as the axis of this rotation. Your head should remain still as the body rotates beneath it. Start out with about 10 minutes of this exercise and try to slowly build your endurance. As this rotation becomes easier, you can adapt it to a short front stance, working one side then the other.

Also use this 'contraction' while you are doing your push ups. Make the muscular connection with your lower abdomen with each count. The pelvis is rolled forward and the buttock muscles are squeezed tight. Don't just use the arms and shoulders. In this way you will get the most out of each push up.

These stretches and exercises are designed to adjust your pelvis into proper position. Please try them. With poor pelvic positioning, movements are often forced and ineffective. Making this adjustment will give you a more solid foundation and help your movements become fluid and natural. And this is where your martial art becomes more than steps, blocks, punches and kicks. This is where it becomes 'art'.

The overall point here is that our bodies are very important. If our muscles, ligaments and joints are strong, they will help everything we do in our training just like a good engine, chassis and tires work together to improve the performance of a fine automobile. The training exercises I described here help all three of these areas.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

On 2002-04-03 11:16, ad wrote:

thanx for the advice,

but the book advertises, that its guarantees a perfect split within 6-10 weeks, is that true?

it mentions a "new scientific method of stretching" :dodgy:

Going off thread me thinks...

Scientific method = Assimetric stretching

6-10weeks possible if your highly motivated. My experience Assymetric take effort and space (and my joints don't like em), static stretches are easy, you can relax (which is what it's all about) infront of TV and stretch out no effort or bother, easy

...anyway. back on topic Pelvic alignment. very important!!

There is definately a difference between men and women. my observation, Womens splayed hips seem to allow them to go beyond the 180 splits. Me thinks.

I think the trouble with pelvic alignment is people arch there back when they stretch. Forehead to knee style. I always recommend people stretch down chin to toes. It straightens the back and although it looks like a less impresive stretch will promote correct pelvic alignment and be better for your back.

Dribble

Bretty

• 2 months later...

Forehead to knee style. I always recommend people stretch down chin to toes. It straightens the back and although it looks like a less impresive stretch will promote correct pelvic alignment and be better for your back.

Actually, when doing v-stretch ) forehead to knee style .... really you should be bringing your chest to thigh then chin to knee on the exhale ... bring forearms along side that leg ... this ensures proper alignment in this particular stretch!

KarateForums Sensei

1st dan Tae Kwon Do (ITF)

Cardio/Fitness Kickboxing Instr.

[ This Message was edited by: KickChick on 2002-06-19 21:46 ]

Hey Kickchick, thanks for that !! :up: :up:

Apparently, my pelvis is tilted to the left: my left leg seems a bit longer than my right one. I've been experiencing trouble when stretching: one side is way limber than the other one, i.e. i can do the split with my left leg forward but i'm still far from there when i put my right leg forward. People 've told me to go and see a chiropractor... What do you think ?

• 2 years later...

great post Kickchick, thank you

My teacher in Tai Chi reminds us to keep the hips and waist level. (this is one of our shenfa or torso methods that is foundational for all good Tai Chi practice) He tells us to pull up the parenieum, (the little piece of muscle in between your genital area and your anus) and by pulling that up, it will level out your waist and help keep your spine in proper alignment. I hope this helps.

"The journey of a 1,000 miles starts with but a single step."