• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

strength without weight gain

Meguro

There is also the question of how to develop power. One can develop more power by increasing their speed not just by adding muscle mass.

I know thats a little bit off topic, but I thought I would bring it up.

Theoretically, sure. realistically, that doesn't apply to humans very well. look at lighterweight boxers. de la hoya and mayorga are both faster than tyson and lewis, but can they punch harder? when comparing trucks and sports cars, it's very valid, but much less so amongst humans...

Edited by elbows_and_knees

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would stay in the 6-8 rep range increasing the weight slowly each week.

Eat a balanced diet with lots of protien.

But most important if you really don't want to add weight, make sure you do not increas your calorie intake as the weight increases. Your body will want more calories to grow and make you more hungry, you may not realize it.

You will hit a point where you will not get stronger without getting bigger - Thats just a fact.

IMHO

I'm with you, Just. I've got about 5lbs margin in my current weight category. If I go over, I may as well go over by 30 lbs.

At the gym, I'm happy to go up in 2.5 lbs increments, and even just adding extra collars for small increases. The hard part won't be the training. It'll be controlling the appetite. :(

I'm with you, Just. I've got about 5lbs margin in my current weight category. If I go over, I may as well go over by 30 lbs.

At the gym, I'm happy to go up in 2.5 lbs increments, and even just adding extra collars for small increases. The hard part won't be the training. It'll be controlling the appetite. :(

That is the toughest part. In college I was into heavy wieghtlifting. I did not pay much attention to my diet and before I knew it, I had put on abot 15lbs of muscle. It was tough to slim down again.

5th Dan Tang Soo Do

There is also the question of how to develop power. One can develop more power by increasing their speed not just by adding muscle mass.

Theoretically, sure. realistically, that doesn't apply to humans very well. look at lighterweight boxers. de la hoya and mayorga are both faster than tyson and lewis, but can they punch faster? when comparing trucks and sports cars, it's very valid, but much less so amongst humans...

Could Bruce Lee's famous 1 inch punch be an example of the power of speed? He was small, but could deliver incredible powerful punches due to the speed that he hit people.

5th Dan Tang Soo Do

yup, diet is the tuff thing.

You should stay where you are, or do what you said and go to the top of the next weight class. If you try for the next weight class, go slow and build endurance, get used to the extra weight.

How old are you? It matters.

Why do you want to go to the next weight class? is the competition tuffer or something? or are you one of those skinny tall kids?

yup, diet is the tuff thing.

You should stay where you are, or do what you said and go to the top of the next weight class. If you try for the next weight class, go slow and build endurance, get used to the extra weight.

How old are you? It matters.

Why do you want to go to the next weight class? is the competition tuffer or something? or are you one of those skinny tall kids?

Bwahaha. Actually, I'm one of those skinny, tall, old farts (42). :D No matter what category I'm in, there are a lot of hard hitting old dudes in knock-down karate. I'm just after whatever edge I can get.

That is the toughest part. In college I was into heavy wieghtlifting. I did not pay much attention to my diet and before I knew it, I had put on abot 15lbs of muscle. It was tough to slim down again.

When you gained the 15 lbs. did you feel like it slowed you down? When you slimmed down, did you feel weaker but faster, just as strong and as fast, any change at all?

Theoretically, sure. realistically, that doesn't apply to humans very well. look at lighterweight boxers. de la hoya and mayorga are both faster than tyson and lewis, but can they punch faster? when comparing trucks and sports cars, it's very valid, but much less so amongst humans...

Could Bruce Lee's famous 1 inch punch be an example of the power of speed? He was small, but could deliver incredible powerful punches due to the speed that he hit people.

I think that was more of an issue of proper body mechanics than speed. some arts refer to it as short power.