• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

strength without weight gain

Meguro

This is directed at all you guys and gals who must stay within a particlular weight class (wrestlers, boxers, weight class fighters). How do you maximise your strength without putting on weight? What types of eating and training routines do you guys use?

Say I wanted to be the strongest welter weight, what type of regimen would you put me on if you were my trainer?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can sweat of water weight the day before. If you really want to, you could drop 8lbs of body water before weigh in, then eat and drink up afterwards.

Unless you're eating a suffient amount of calories above your normal, you shouldn't gain weight. Now water weight on the other hand is different.

I don't have to be the best, just better than you!

Working towards 11% BF and a Six pack

Do 'Olympic' type of lifts like the snatch and clean and jerk for power that will develope explosive power without adding much 'bulk'.. Olympic weight lifters must stay in a certain weight range also and they are extremely explosive at a light weight.. bodybuilders use a moderate rep range around 6-8 a bit lower or higher and more exercises to really break down the muscle tissue so it grows 'bigger' and 'stronger'.. check into 'Olympic' lifting, also try doing some 'plyometrics' in your training also.good luck

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure I like the idea of dropping water weight right before a competition. Obviously it works for a lot of competitors. I just imagine myself tanking right out of the gate.

Plyometrics is a good idea, and I've incorporated a lot of that: jumping squats and clapping push-ups. When I bench, I've reduced the reps and upped the weight. If I don't change my diet, perhaps I'll gain strength without weight.

My current thinking is this: lots of body weight squats(300 reps), lots of sit-ups & back extensions. Not sure about the arms and chest. Which makes sense: maxing out on reps of an intermediate weight (140 lbs.) or maxing out on weight? Maybe bag the weights, so to speak, and just hit the heavy bag?

If you do less wheight with more reps you muscles will develop more strength over a prolonged period of time. This will help you gain strength. You should only begin to gain wheight if you lift heavier loads and if you eat a diet that is high in calories.

5th Dan Tang Soo Do

If you do less wheight with more reps you muscles will develop more strength over a prolonged period of time. This will help you gain strength.

You are referring to muscular endurance, not muscular strength. These are two different things. Endurance will not increase your strength. Here is a test. Find someone who can do 100 pushups and see how much he can bench press. Find someone who conducts proper strength training and see what he can bench. Compare the results. endurance and strength are not mutually exclusive.

If you do less wheight with more reps you muscles will develop more strength over a prolonged period of time. This will help you gain strength.

You are referring to muscular endurance, not muscular strength. These are two different things. Endurance will not increase your strength. Here is a test. Find someone who can do 100 pushups and see how much he can bench press. Find someone who conducts proper strength training and see what he can bench. Compare the results. endurance and strength are not mutually exclusive.

Well put. I would add that they are not automatically inclusive of each other either. :D

Aodhan

There are some people who live in a dream world, and there are some who face reality; and then there are those who turn one into the other.

-Douglas Everett, American hockey player

There is also the question of how to develop power. One can develop more power by increasing their speed not just by adding muscle mass.

I know thats a little bit off topic, but I thought I would bring it up.

5th Dan Tang Soo Do

There is also the question of how to develop power. One can develop more power by increasing their speed not just by adding muscle mass.

I know thats a little bit off topic, but I thought I would bring it up.

I haven't forgotten about the speed aspect of the power equation. I suppose this thread is really about fighting ageing. I'm light and fast, but won't be for long. If I stay light and slow down, (I think I read that fast twitch muscle fibers deteriorate faster than slow-twitch in the ageing body), I'll lose whatever edge I had in being light: speed and the power derived from speed.

The alternative is to bulk-up and move up a weight category. Of course this does nothing to stop the ageing process. :kaioken: