G95champ

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In many ways the importance of promotion does decrease after one earns a black belt.

But to lower kyu grades and younger students promotion is a greatly motivating factor and helps them to develop self esteem.

Technicly I took a class of shudokan karate, but it was kinder karate program they had from kids under seven. I shouldn't have joined at such a immature age because I was only intrested for the fighting, so when we did not fight I dropped out. So now to the practical part I won't be doing shudokan until May. 12 when their classes clear up. I have a question for you guys though. Every four months at the dojo I'm going to I guess they take a test to determine weather or not they can move on to the next test. What I want to know is what it's called, and how often does someone pass it in the first try.

White Belt- Shudokan Karate

We call tests - tests

Some will call them grades

Normal testing at first ranges from 2 months to 4 months. I base mine on 30 classes plus being good enough. However this can change.

Some schools make testing optional other say you have to. I don't test anyone I do not think is ready in fact I tell them a few weeks before that they are ready to test IMO. If a student asks me when do I test. I usually say not for a long time now.

As far as passing. Very few people pass early tests. Part of it is because they are simple and part is because well we don't want to run off people. LOL. However I am very picky about my tests from say 4kuy up. However this is up to each teacher.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

Congratulations on your decision to resume your training.

Thank you, In a way I feel bad for not rejoining earlier, but I for some reason feel I chose just the right time to rejoin. Funny though, We had a tournament the week after I got back and my instructor made me compete, and I had just learned/relearned my kata. That was an experience. Kinda makes me keep from being nervous about competing now... Because if I could do it then... When I was disadvantaged having only had a week to practice. Then I should certainly be able to compete under normal circumstances. :karate:

Age-16

Rank/Style-1st Dan Wado Ryu Karate Do

Occupation-Assistant Instructor

4th Kyu Greenbelt shito-ryu karate.

P.S. Is anyone else goin to the Internaitonal championships in Sweden? I train at the Minakami Karate Dojo in seattle under Shihan Akio Minakami (8th dan).

Purple(I wear Red instead, lol) Belt - Okinawan Goju Ryu Karate

I also had a yellow belt for, I think it was, Shotokan Karate.. though ever since I changed clubs I pretty much let it go. I also had another yellow belt at the YMCA. Then the sensei got fired for being too unorganized I think. She was teaching us Judo techniques, some life force cultivation, and weapons training (the bo mainly) at the same time *sigh* And I'm sure I had another belt for that other place... eh, I can't remember anymore - was too young.

Okinawan Goju Ryu Karate

<--| Knowledge of Self |-->